Stereo Guru?

racinfeend59

So I got a new (used) amp.
wired it all up aaaand NOTHING
pulled out the good ole multimeter and its getting the full 12.9 volts.
If i start the car with the amp plugged in than there is NO sound to any of the speakers (only running the back 2 and the 12 of the amp, front SHOULD still work)
If i start it unplugged I get sound to the front. But the second I touch the power cable to the amp I lose sound.

Is it a bad amp??
anyone know what i should look into next???

thanks

Joshmmc

Does your amp have a light on it to indicate that it is receiving power? Do you have a fuse in between your power supply and your amp? Have you checked your output channels with the multimeter?

killjoy

so you have no indication that teh amp is on or not? does it have a light?

Tell me exactly how you wired it. and for clarification, you're amping your 2 rear speakers and bridging the other 2 channels to a sub?

racinfeend59

ok here goes:
the amp is old and i got from a friend for free but he said it worked.
has no indication light but i have a multimeter and checked and its GETTING power
I ran the input for the amp off of the old rear speakers...than the output is going to the new 6x9's and the sub

racinfeend59

oh and yes i have a fuse..but checked all---all are good

and what do i look for on the multimeter for the output channels? what kind of voltage should they get? or does sign of any voltage=good?

Joshmmc

Any voltage at all is a sign that your amp is working. Watch to see if the voltage increases as you turn the volume up.

killjoy

do you have access to ANY speaker than you can touch to the outputs on the amp?

If you find a speaker you know for a fact is working, 4ohms or 8 whatever touch it to the outputs with the volume on low, gain down. if you have signal coming into the amp it should make sound, if not, the amp's outputs may be blown. This can be fixed but its not usually 100% and isn't worth the cost of shipping plus repair (unless maybe you find a local guy).