Still getting bad gas mileage

k624ash

I just changes my plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, and fuel filter. It didnt change my gas milage at all. I get about 20 mpg, maybe a little less. Whay else can i do to try and improve my gas mileage?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Is your air filter clean?
Tires properly inflated?
Are your rims really heavy?

k624ash

TegSox said:
Is your air filter clean?
Tires properly inflated?
Are your rims really heavy?
I did put on 17s but they didnt change my gas mileage at all from the stock rims. They are all freshly filled to the right psi and the filter is a brand new k&n

1329itr00

Type R
do u have a lot of weight in your car like heavy shit in the trunk that would make a drastic difference or anything like that

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
well if you have i/h/e that already kills more gas... so iono... get your fuel filter and injectors cleaned?

k624ash

I only have i/e, but i wouldnt think that would kill gas that much. I have a four door but shouldnt i still be getting over 30 mpg? I usualy dont have anything extra in the car.
how do i clean my injectors? and if that the problem wouldnt that mean less fuel was going in my engine? The car runs fine also

k624ash

wait a second, i dont know how this ended up in the forced induction forum. can a mod move it please?

k624ash

My catalytic converter is going bad, i just got inspected and it passed right on the mark. could this effect mileage? and if i put on a eliminator pipe would that help?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Bolt on's don't give you worse gas mileage. If anything, they make it better, especially the intake.
If your cat's gone bad, maybe your running rich. Running rich would kill a cat and worsen your mileage. Maybe you have a bad O2 sensor. Does your exhaust stink like a 1970's muscle car? Mine did when I had a bad O2 and was running rich for a little bit.

twlplague

put some fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank next time you fill up and i would check that O2 sensor also!

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
TegSox said:
Bolt on's don't give you worse gas mileage. If anything, they make it better, especially the intake.
If your cat's gone bad, maybe your running rich. Running rich would kill a cat and worsen your mileage. Maybe you have a bad O2 sensor. Does your exhaust stink like a 1970's muscle car? Mine did when I had a bad O2 and was running rich for a little bit.
really? i always thought the header and the intake sucked up more gas...

k624ash

I think it is the o2, im gonna replace that next. my exhaust does smell like im running rich, or im just paranoid
is there any brand of o2 sensor i should look for? im not sure what to get

Last edited:

Sirfallsalot243

Any black residue on the back bumper? I dont know man, mines got a new fuel filter, timing belt, spark plugs, wires, dizzy, and my shop just reset the map sensor so it wasnt running rich- and Im only getting 26mpg. I have 16" rotas, 2 12" subs, spare and jack, AC and PS. I think mid 20's is about normal for any spirited driver. I normally shift at 3k, but take it up to 6500 sometimes too. I think your mileage may be about right.