stock block, built head ideas

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
B18C1...I want to build the head w/ springs retainers and cam shafts...best set up for the best power with the most daily drivability. I've been looking at brian crower stage 2's....What kinda set ups are you guys running?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
If your going to keep the block stock, you want to go with a mild cam. Because the larger the lift and longer the duration you go with, the more compression you are going to lose out the valve openings. So I'd say go with OEM ITR or CTR cams. With those cams, you can use your OEM GSR intake valvesprings on the exhaust side, and you'll only need to buy some OEM ITR intake valvesprings. GSR intake valvesprings and ITR exhaust valvesprings are the same spring, same part # and everything.
For added valve control/longevity, particularly if you'll be revving past 8,000 RPM's, get yourself some inner valvesprings as well. I use Portflow inner springs myself.

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
If your going to keep the block stock, you want to go with a mild cam. Because the larger the lift and longer the duration you go with, the more compression you are going to lose out the valve openings. So I'd say go with OEM ITR or CTR cams. With those cams, you can use your OEM GSR intake valvesprings on the exhaust side, and you'll only need to buy some OEM ITR intake valvesprings. GSR intake valvesprings and ITR exhaust valvesprings are the same spring, same part # and everything.
For added valve control/longevity, particularly if you'll be revving past 8,000 RPM's, get yourself some inner valvesprings as well. I use Portflow inner springs myself.
So will it hurt my engine if i go with the brian crower's and keep the stock block? Are stage 2's considerd mild? What if I purchase aftermarket valves aswell?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I'm guessing the 63402's are the Stage 2's?
Their duration is only barely longer than stock GSR cams, but the lift is much higher. In fact, their duration is shorter than ITR cams. But that would benefit you in your situation because you will be maintaining stock compression. Less duration = less cylinder pressure being lost out the valve openings.
Increasing lift = Increases HP and TQ, but doesn't move the point of peak HP or peak TQ up or down the RPM range.
Those cams could work well for you.

Check out the aftermarket VTEC cams Sticky.

Aftermarket valves won't do much for you performance wise, though getting lighter valves will help with longevity and getting high in the rev's. ITR springs were made to control ITR valves up to 8,400 rpm's. GSR valves are 17% heavier than ITR valves, so your increasing the workload of the ITR springs 17% for use with GSR valves. That's why I recommend getting the inner valvesprings as well, to further help control the valves. Lighter valves will give the valvesprings an easier job controlling the valve. But if your not going super high in the revs (which I don't think you need to with the 63402's since you are only very slightly increasing duration, your location of peak HP and TQ will hardly move at all) replacing the valves is not something to worry about.

mirrorimg

For the Crowers, 62/63402 are stage 1, 62/63403 are stage 2.