Stock Intake/ AEM Intake Auto LS

Peruviann

Hi, I just have a question...

I had to remove the bottom part of my stock intake to install my HIDs. And now my car makes this loud noise when I step on the gas. I wanted to know if I install AEM short ram intake, would it still sound the same? or would the sound go away somewhat?

INtegraaa

the boxacts as like a silencer i think i would just get a aem filter sounds better makes the car run better but it shouldnt harm anything the way it is

Peruviann

the boxacts as like a silencer i think i would just get a aem filter sounds better makes the car run better but it shouldnt harm anything the way it is
Yeah Im going to eventually get one i just wanted to find out about the sound i just hate it now i just dont want it any louder never had an intake on an auto always on a manual car

heykosal

Angkorian
:lol:

that low pitch sound you hear is called induction. It's the sound of your engine pulling in air. If you've ever noticed your stock airbox, intake tubing there's a lot of unnecessary bends and random "compartments" the OEMs design them like that so it cuts down on the noise. Same with exhausts, generally(with a few exceptions like sports cars) manufacturers design cars to make as little noise as possible. The non-enthusiast public wants their cars to be unintrusive and quiet.
An aftermarket intake whether cold air or short ram with the least amount of bends and smooth piping will always make a lot more noise, at the most basic level..noise = power. It's half the reason people buy intakes at all.

Peruviann

:lol:

that low pitch sound you hear is called induction. It's the sound of your engine pulling in air. If you've ever noticed your stock airbox, intake tubing there's a lot of unnecessary bends and random "compartments" the OEMs design them like that so it cuts down on the noise. Same with exhausts, generally(with a few exceptions like sports cars) manufacturers design cars to make as little noise as possible. The non-enthusiast public wants their cars to be unintrusive and quiet.
An aftermarket intake whether cold air or short ram with the least amount of bends and smooth piping will always make a lot more noise, at the most basic level..noise = power. It's half the reason people buy intakes at all.
damn great answer !

so i guess i either need to find another place to put my ballast or just get an aem and deal with the sound

teggygrl08

BBHG.. one love.
i put my ballasts on the inside of my fenders, makes the bay look cleaner. i used double sided tape but they've started to get loose so i used zip ties.

TLP_TEG

i put my ballasts on the inside of my fenders, makes the bay look cleaner. i used double sided tape but they've started to get loose so i used zip ties.
lol same here, double sided tape started melting so good ol zip ties did the trick! :)

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
Is there any loss of power by having the air box disconnected from the bottom half of the box? Mine is like that (someone wrecked it and replaced the front end but never fixed the box.)