Stock Sleeves

Collins2006

I finally got my Parts for my motor... I have a 97 jdm type r and im taking my 11:1 pistons out and replacing them with these CP 9:8:1 compression pistons with eagle rods, I also got ARP headstuds, new timing belt and head gasket my motor only has about 25,000 miles on it how much power can the stock sleeves handle???? A shop in Portland Oregon said I will be able to handle 350 whp daily no problem at all and I drive like a jackass I was just wondering if I wanted to bump up the power on the dyno how high should I go? safely...

patrick4588

Integra God
shit stock sleeves can make 500whp, but they wont last too long most times at those levels. since its your daily and you drive it hard, id keep it under 450 and get a good tune. tuning will determine how long they last more than the power level. i know 2 ppl that have cracked there sleeves at 300whp because of detonation. also, having too much backpressure can have detrimental effects, make sure to have a free flowing exhaust (3" or larger)

TurboGSR96

Sippin Corn Whiskey
Actually stock sleeves can make 650whp and last, Evans raced his white hatch for 2 years stock sleeves at 650whp, its all in the tune. If you use some redneck that does not know diddly about a Honda and he tries to push it, you are asking for trouble.

Winki

Undercover mod
its all in the tune as stated but for a daily car i would try to get your car tuned at 400 no more than 20psi and then turn it down for safty and reliabilty to about 15pis (350whp). plus that saves your room fro any boost spike

Last edited:

patrick4588

Integra God
Actually stock sleeves can make 650whp and last, Evans raced his white hatch for 2 years stock sleeves at 650whp, its all in the tune. If you use some redneck that does not know diddly about a Honda and he tries to push it, you are asking for trouble.
they will not hold up to daily abuse. he raced his white hatch for 2 years, but it wasnt raced everyday. get the difference? for A DAILY DRIVEN car that gets BEAT ON A LOT anything more than 450 is severly cutting back on its life expectancy. a good tune is very important even on that power level.

B18TEG

BLACK DA
350 would be the max to drive daily safely.

stock sleeves are prone to failure at the sight of increased pressure and heat. So dont forget to get a catch can/breather setup to relive crankcase pressure and blowby.

don't forget to get your arp rod bolts.

TurboGSR96

Sippin Corn Whiskey
350 would be the max to drive daily safely.

stock sleeves are prone to failure at the sight of increased pressure and heat. So dont forget to get a catch can/breather setup to relive crankcase pressure and blowby.

don't forget to get your arp rod bolts.
pressure really does not have much to do with it, contrary to poular belief. I guarantee you if you could cap off both ends of the stock sleeve and pressurize it, it would hold 100psi easily, the problem lies with pre-ignition and detonation, that is what will split a sleeve right down the middle.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
yeah... good idea. WHy don't you pressurize the crankcase and see if your rings still are intact.

You'll blow out the rings, then kill the sleeves with shards of medal.

jason_guy_yeah

pressure really does not have much to do with it, contrary to poular belief. I guarantee you if you could cap off both ends of the stock sleeve and pressurize it, it would hold 100psi easily, the problem lies with pre-ignition and detonation, that is what will split a sleeve right down the middle.
Didn't you tune a b18b to (stock) to 350 hp on e85?

Collins2006

Yea My goal is 350 whp...I could careless if its more or not because if you think about it 350 respectable number to me anyways. I plan on setting it up so I can run E85 since its only $2.85 a gallon here in town...

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
you'll be getting worse gas mileage with e85, so it's possible that you won't benefit from it...

Just an FYI

Collins2006

I know E85 takes 35% of volume then regular gas if that made any since..it takes 35% more of E85 then normal pump gas, haha I dunno I just know it takes more...and I am alright with that because right now premium in my town is $3.95 and E85 is about a dollar cheaper...Dont know how much of a difference in price it would be but I know I just wanna do it to be different I know for sure no one in my town has a honda running E85...Call me stupid but just sounds like a good idea as i speak lol

Collins2006

There is a shop about 45 miles from here running a honda s2000 on e85 and they have about 4 other cars on E85 also if i had high compression like I did before i switched out my pistons I would want to run E85 because its a cleaner, cooler burn then pump gas they are running 10-15 psi with 12:1 compression they are also working on an ethanol build for a rotary motor...