Strange no-start situation & solution

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
I just wanted to let everyone know about a problem I have had with my Integra.

I first experienced a situation where my brake lights would not turn off. I quickly found my way to the brake pedal the relay switch above the pedal in the dash. The rubber pad, known at the dealership as a pedal stopper I believe, had dry rotted and there you go.

While I was there, I noticed that there was also a pedal stopper on the clutch that was slowly wearing itself away so I took the time to replace it as well. I intend to replace them with new parts but for the moment I have a small bolt and nut in the space.

The next problem I had was when I was leaving work a few days ago my car would not start. There were no obvious symptoms like a clicking starter, dim lights, loose or faulty ignition switch. It was as if I got in the car, did not hit the clutch, and tried to start the engine.

So, the solution was, there is a second pedal stopper higher up on the clutch pedal that allows the starter to engage. It's a pain in your spine to get to since you have to slide your seat back and crawl in upside down so you can get three hands up under your dash while holding the clutch halfway down with your head.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Have a good day

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Wow I didnt know there was such thing as a pedal stopper. Nice write up.

BTW when your car wont start and it makes no noises. It may be the starter itself, ive had to actually hit mine with a hammer when its cold outside to start the car. Though that doesnt happen in the summer.