Strange short throw shifter...what is it?

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but my brother also owns a DC4. 98 LS, built, turbo'd with a TD05, shattered cylinder wall, yada yada. When I got my B&M shifter in, he mentioned that it was way different from his. Looking at it, his is bent towards the driver's side. He says he bought it locally, and the kid told him it was a type R shifter. However, my searching shows that the R shifters just have the dual bend towards the rear...anybody got any ideas what this mystery short throw could be?

If it would help I could try and grab some pics of it.

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
The first three are of his car, and the last one is mine with the same knob for comparison. All pics are of the car in neutral.

In this pic, I rolled the boot down so you can see the bend a little better.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/mr_subaru_rally/DSCF8258.jpg[/IMG

And here's my car:
[IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/mr_subaru_rally/DSCF8259.jpg

PS- excuse his mess, the car's been a 'project' for the past 3 years.

Last edited:

goofygamer

Can we get pictures at a side angle? That'll help a little more

j13

Keep It Clean
That's weird, looks like 1st/2nd gear will be a pain to get into at such an awkward position.

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Can we get pictures at a side angle? That'll help a little more
I will go take them now.

That's weird, looks like 1st/2nd gear will be a pain to get into at such an awkward position.
It's actually really easy. I like how it's canted towards the driver more. At first I thought maybe he had just put all the bushings/washers whatever on that side, but I did that to mine and it barely moved a millimeter.

j13

Keep It Clean
Can you post a pic of the bare shifter? Unmounted from the car?

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Can you post a pic of the bare shifter? Unmounted from the car?
No can do. Not my car, besides, it's buried in crap, I'd have to clear it all off before I could get the car in the air.

There's a couple minus the knob. It looks kinda like someone bent it to me, not like it was a factory job.

OLDSKOOLACURA

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like someone bent it that way. The bend doesn't look like it was done by a machine.

Like I said, its hard to see

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

j13

Keep It Clean
Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like someone bent it that way. The bend doesn't look like it was done by a machine.

Like I said, its hard to see

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatio 2
Exactly my thoughts, I wouldn't drive one mile with that thing.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
That's interesting, how did that happen? Engine blow up?

Each of our products is completely toxin-free, and has no heavy metals or volatile organic chemicals. The biodegradable solutions we use can be absorbed without causing harm to the water, soil, or atmosphere. Our green maid service includes all the basics and more. Carpets are vacuumed, windows and glass doors are cleaned, and even the walls are wiped down for dust. After our green home cleaning, your rooms will look spic-and-span.
And fuck you, reported :)