Strip and paint - Valve cover (Non V-Tec) B18B1

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
here is everything I used as far as stripping, taping and painting.

Now, let's get to taking the valve cover off.

April 21, 2012.

I decided to tape these off, to ensure there was no confusion.

Then, I remove the covers, and set them off to the side, out of the way.
Also ridding the vc of any hoses connected.

I removed all of the screws/bolts along with any caps and plugs.
This allowed me to take the valve cover off.

The gasket is obviously important, so I kept it safe and away from my work area.

Along with the smaller ones.

This is why I decided to paint this vc. The guy who has the teg' before me painted the bottom of the hood.
But he was most likely brain dead and spray painted it while not covering the engine bay at all.
So I am cursed to live with these paint speckles all over everything under the hood until I paint it.

About half way through stripping the paint off this is what she looked like.

Tape off anywhere you don't want paint to get into.
(NOTE: I ordered a few cans of krylon red engine paint and are going to repaint this vc.)

Therefore I did not strip every last bit of paint off.

Applied the high heat primer .

Applied two coats of high heat enamel.

There she is, all dried and baked. Did touch with sanding the rims of the plug holes.

Don't forget about the oil cap.

There she is, finished but looking towards a future of red paint.

Sanded the Honda motor co. down .

Like I said, I am going to repaint, just needed to get rid of that white splatter.

Thanks.

Will post pictures of my second round with red krylon.

Also, will post a write up of painting my intake manifold along with a few other key components.
Including getting the paint speckles off of my hoses and electrical.

Last edited:

TheSkygun

Nice right up. I think I might attempt to do this but with purple. How long did you have it dry for before putting it back together, also how long would you say the process takes.

99TegLs

4 things wrong you did there:
1. you need to strip the paint off no just sand half of it and leave the rest there
2. you need to throw the gasket away and replace it.
3. x2 on #2
4. When you repaint, you need to tape off areas that will need tight contact (spark plug wells, oil cap, ect....
So maybe when yo do it in red you'll do it correctly eh? :)

dlo253

Don't always need to replace the gasket. I would though, I've noticed that after time they like stretch out from heat or something. Which makes it a bitch to put on right, but if it goes on fine and doesn't look messed up there is no need to replace it. Unless its old, you might as Well. Lol.

And I agree with the rest of the statements that have been made......... lol

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
mistake 1) you didnt use paint stripper, paint thinner will do nothing to remove paint

mistake 2) you used wayyyy too rough of a grit to prep your surface, 220 to 400 grit is all that is required

mistake 3) you used rustoleum spray cans with those god aweful lumpy spray trips, next time use duplicolor cans

mistake 4) you used a high heat primer which is completely unnecessary and will not cure properly, etching primer is the best to use with filler primer being a close second if you have a highly pitted surface

mistake 5) you didnt sand between layers, its always a good idea to prep your primered surface with a red scotch pad before spraying your base coat or color coat for a nice smooth surface that bonds well

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
4 things wrong you did there:
1. you need to strip the paint off no just sand half of it and leave the rest there
2. you need to throw the gasket away and replace it.
3. x2 on #2
4. When you repaint, you need to tape off areas that will need tight contact (spark plug wells, oil cap, ect....
So maybe when yo do it in red you'll do it correctly eh? :)
1. Read the whole post. Its temporary.
2. Ordered a gasket at the same time I ordered red paint.
3. Look for blue tape.

Thanks though.

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
mistake 1) you didnt use paint stripper, paint thinner will do nothing to remove paint

mistake 2) you used wayyyy too rough of a grit to prep your surface, 220 to 400 grit is all that is required

mistake 3) you used rustoleum spray cans with those god aweful lumpy spray trips, next time use duplicolor cans

mistake 4) you used a high heat primer which is completely unnecessary and will not cure properly, etching primer is the best to use with filler primer being a close second if you have a highly pitted surface

mistake 5) you didnt sand between layers, its always a good idea to prep your primered surface with a red scotch pad before spraying your base coat or color coat for a nice smooth surface that bonds well

Oh yeah, this is what I was looking for. A nearly professional reply. Thanks for this, I appreciate it.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Oh yeah, this is what I was looking for. A nearly professional reply. Thanks for this, I appreciate it.
Not sure if sarcasm or not, but if you want it to come out better use duplicolor color match for your red this time instead of krylon. You can get a red that is exactly to match the color of your car (assuming its red). I just had to do some rust repair on a QP on my car and i did similar steps to what I did with the valve covor only i used Nighthawk black pearl in a can to respray the qp up to the existing paint, and feathered over the existing paint, and then compounded and polished it back down smooth. You cant even tell there was anything done other then the pearl not matching between the two spray jobs. So its all in your material choice and your prep.

Ganyon

Looks pretty good. I did mine Saturday. It's just temporary until I get it powder coated.

TheSkygun

Didn't you paint something else blue too?

Also, how long does this take. Its my dd so I can't have it down for too long.

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
Not sure if sarcasm or not, but if you want it to come out better use duplicolor color match for your red this time instead of krylon. You can get a red that is exactly to match the color of your car (assuming its red). I just had to do some rust repair on a QP on my car and i did similar steps to what I did with the valve covor only i used Nighthawk black pearl in a can to respray the qp up to the existing paint, and feathered over the existing paint, and then compounded and polished it back down smooth. You cant even tell there was anything done other then the pearl not matching between the two spray jobs. So its all in your material choice and your prep.
Not at all. So duplicator, I will definitely do some research.
Is there anything else you suggest, other than stripping it of all paint ( of course ).

NintyNineLs

OFWGKTA
Didn't you paint something else blue too?

Also, how long does this take. Its my dd so I can't have it down for too long.
Well, I honestly think everyone is different when it comes to this stuff.

But, taking the vc off for me too about 20 mins. tops.
Cleaning and rinsing about 20 mins.
Stripping and sanding (depending on how good you want it to come out) an hour or two.
Taping was a breeze about 10 mins.
Sprayed the primer in about 5.

I did not bake, I set it under a heat lamp and fan for an hour.

2 temporary coats of whatever your using + dry time was about 2 hours.

Then, I finally put it all back together, and let it sit overnight in my heated garage.

Overall it took me about 6 hours (10 overnight dry hours) plus cleanup.

Of course there's more I should have done, but I would have done anything to get rid of that speckle.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Not at all. So duplicator, I will definitely do some research.
Is there anything else you suggest, other than stripping it of all paint ( of course ).
If your getting bits of dirt specs in the top coat then you can use tack cloth's to clean it just prior to painting the base coat, and maintain smooth motions with the can and try to maintain a good 6 inches of clearance between the can and the valve cover, when you see the way the duplicolor cans spray it should kind of come naturally, but you dont want to be right on top of it.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
looks good and thanks for the write up. iv,e reused valve cover gaskets if there still soft and pliable.