Struts, shocks

NATES98dc4LSV

THE pRO-nATER
HI, I'VE RECENTLY PURCHASED MY 98 dc4 ls/V AND THE STRUTS ARE BLOWN ALL AROUND THEY ARE TOKICO BLUES ON SKUNK2 LOWERING SPRINGS NE IDEAS OF SOME DECENT STRUTS FOR AUTOx? AT A PRICE LOWER THEN THE BLUES ALSO MY DD SO GOTTA BE COMFORTABLE

well you are asking for alot..

comfortable and lowering springs...

REMEMBER THIS.. most stock struts are not meant for lowering springs. KYB GR2's are a great strut about 20% stiffer then stock and still comfortable.. they will not last forever on lowering springs HOWEVER if you buy them from a KYB dealer they have a lifetime warranty

the ride comfort will be depending on the stiffness of the springs

KYB AGX is a great strut.. work well with lowering springs and are dampning adjustable.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
skunk2 lowering springs are not good for comfort they are stiff as hell. eibach is softer. and at that budget you are going to need to buy some new shocks very soon.

heykosal

Angkorian
You're going to need something pretty stiff for auto-x probably coilover stiff i don't think springs will do it for you.

NATES98dc4LSV

THE pRO-nATER
i miss my rx7 :'( (tear)(sigh) but thanks for the help ill look into the kyb

tbrazzy-s3

im running on KYB AGX's with GroundControl coilovers. Easily easily adjustable and it rides great. Possibly look into craigslisting or putting your current setup on some forums and trying to upgrade. just a thought

You're going to need something pretty stiff for auto-x probably coilover stiff i don't think springs will do it for you.
Not true.. springs and struts are fine.. I know many people who run FTD on fast and tight tracks on STOCK suspension..

for Auto X its all about being smooth not about speed so u dont have to completely load the suspension up coilovers IMO actually demand to much for Auto X

IMO coil overs are NOT recommended for NOOBS in the suspension/geometry field.. each track would be demanding to get the correct setup and if you plan to set it and forget it then no need to waste time or money with coil overs...

the ONLY advantage of coil overs is that u can set each wheel different for the given track

heykosal

Angkorian
well you're right about that..kind of.

the advantage of coilovers is exactly that, you can tailor them specifically to suit different tracks and different conditions.

but you can also find an ideal all around set-up including rebound and compression damping that you just can't do with adjustable shocks/springs. it won't be perfect for every occasion, but if you do mostly street driving with the occasional trip to the racetrack then you could do with an "all around set-up"

i guess i made my previous statement with the assumption that he's going to be auto-x racing every weekend or with any kind of seriousness. my bad.

Last edited:
well you're right about that..kind of.

the advantage of coilovers is exactly that, you can tailor them specifically to suit different tracks and different conditions.

but you can also find an ideal all around set-up including rebound and compression damping that you just can't do with adjustable shocks/springs. it won't be perfect for every occasion, but if you do mostly street driving with the occasional trip to the racetrack then you could do with an "all around set-up"

i guess i made my previous statement with the assumption that he's going to be auto-x racing every weekend or with any kind of seriousness. my bad.
your right however unless u like eating tires u will want to go back and fourth from track setup and daily driving setup.

if your going for an all around setup lowering springs and an alignment to the spec u desire is the best way IMO and cheapest.