Stupid Question

MACDOG

Baller, yo
Hey, I'm about to ask a retarded question.. please don't hurt me..

Anyway, was my birthday a few weeks ago, and my mechanic friend came and took my car early hours of the morning and welded on a new rear muffler.. ever since then my car has been overheating more than it should be, especially on cold day followed by a short drive. I was thinking either he did something whilst driving it, that is causing it to heat up like a mofo.

Rear Muffler?

The leaky gasket under the valve cover?

or?

Thanks for the help.

Cripton805

It's hard to understand what you mean. It's really overheating to where it would be mainly over the center?
An exhaust / muffler should have no effect.

Cripton805

From what I understand it gets to operating temp quicker? or is it actually over heating?

Cripton805

nothing should get it to opperating temp quicker unless hes smashing on it or hes having bigger problems
His symptoms are confusing because he says it gets warmer especially on a cold day. Seems strange and I just honestly am confused by the situation. :lol:

lol

MACDOG

Baller, yo
When I first got the car, it never heated up over half, this would be on a drive that goes for over 2 hours, never got over half.

Now.. on a short drive, maybe 30 minutes? it gets up to 2/3.. its even redlined. (Of course I pulled over when I could)

Someone said it could be the head gasket, I hope its not..

bromo1974

Mufflers and leaky valve cover gaskets won't cause overheating. I don't think the OP is giving enough information to diagnose is problem.

bromo1974

When I first got the car, it never heated up over half, this would be on a drive that goes for over 2 hours, never got over half.

Now.. on a short drive, maybe 30 minutes? it gets up to 2/3.. its even redlined. (Of course I pulled over when I could)

Someone said it could be the head gasket, I hope its not..
have you checked the coolant levels? if you have a blown head gasket you should see white smoke from the exhaust.

Cripton805

Yup. Then it's most likely the head gasket. If it is, don't drive it until you get it fixed.
Maybe the water pump or thermostat.

Take it to a mechanic and avoid other costly bills.

MACDOG

Baller, yo
No white smoke that I'm aware of. I've had the hoses replaced because they were old and worn, from a pervious service. The mechanic I took it to said that he had resolved the issue, however it still overheats. I constantly top up the coolant - It goes pretty quickly I guess, forgot about adding that into my original post.

The leaky gasket is coming from under the valve cover, its leaking from the front left corner, and running down where it has the engine type B18 labelled. As stated by you guys, its probably not that.. but from what I've listed in this thread is all that I know about the heating issue. Just wondering if you guys could assist in the diagnosis of it. I also found out after it heated up, we looked at the fans, one was running and the other one was not, the wires were shorting, we cable tied them up in and they worked sort of when they wanted to, I plan on sending it in for a full service when I get the money.

Could the fan be another major issue? (Obviously is has something to do with it, as its meant for cooling)

MACDOG

Baller, yo
Yup. Then it's most likely the head gasket. If it is, don't drive it until you get it fixed.
Maybe the water pump or thermostat.

Take it to a mechanic and avoid other costly bills.
Took the thermostat out and tested it, it was siezing. Currently there is no thermostat in there as the mechanic ordered the wrong one. How much does it gost to get the head gasket replaced?

bromo1974

i would recommend seeing if you can find the coolant leak. if you can't find any leak and don't see any coolant on the ground underneath your car i would recommend getting a test kit to check if you have a blown head gasket. getting a head gasket replaced is a pretty big job. if you're losing coolant, i don't think that your water pump is the issue.

Last edited:

Cripton805

I don't know how much it would cost to replace the Head Gasket in Australia... Sorry :(
lol

One of the fans is an A/C fan which wouldn't be on in normal conditions. The passenger side if it's LHD is for the cooling of the engine.