suspension issues

Coney

Spacely
hey guys i just got my hands on a 2000 integra GSR in good shape. it came with tokico illuminas and eibach pro-kit springs among other things. the problem is while the front wheels both sit at about 1.5 inches from the wheel well the rear wheels sit much deeper one a little more than the other (1 inch on one side and like .75 on the other). the car kind of has a backend lean. i figured it could have been the big sub in the trunk but removing it didnt do anything and theres nothing else in the trunk to weigh it down. whats going on here? could the control arms be messed up? if so how can i tell?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
its just the weight in the back. the springs werent designed for added extras in the trunk (ie. subs). if you remove it, im sure it'd come up a bit in the rear. if it doesnt, they've sagged from the weight..

although, i know lots of people that has had lowering springs and the rear tends to sit lower than the front.

also, the front springs are made to be stiffer due to the weight of the engine so it wouldnt sag as much.

Coney

Spacely
i did remove the sub and not much happened. so thats just how its gunna sit and theres nothing wrong with it?

Coney

Spacely
what about the fact that the left side sits lower than the right?

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
eibach's are great springs, (million mile warranty) blah blah...BUT i've had it and so has many people i know had the problem of saggin with eibachs. A lot of people i've talked to make eibachs notorious for sagging. Order you some new springs and I think you'll be all set man.

j13

Keep It Clean
Get some good adjustable sleeve coilovers and you won't regret it.

Are tokico illuminas just a better after market strut?

72Spitfire

Tokico Illuminas are 5-way adjustable. If you look at yours closely, there is a small red dial on the top of yours that can be adjusted 1-5.(1 is soft and 5 stiffest. Much better than the OEM versions it came with. Not used Eibach springs. I do have H&R's and they have no sag.

Coney

Spacely
yeah the tokicos are nice i like them. being that i just bought the car i dont really have money for new springs right now. the setup will be okay like that right? its not that bad i just noticed it the other day

Rich-PMS

are all your tires inflated to the proper PSI? if not it'll cause "leaning"

how new are your struts, sounds like they could be blown..

and putting an extra 50-60lbs in the trunk will NOT make the springs sag like you're saying. blown struts most definitely would.

also check to see if your struts are adjusted to the SAME setting

j13

Keep It Clean
are all your tires inflated to the proper PSI? if not it'll cause "leaning"

how new are your struts, sounds like they could be blown..

and putting an extra 50-60lbs in the trunk will NOT make the springs sag like you're saying. blown struts most definitely would.

also check to see if your struts are adjusted to the SAME setting
How would a blown strut cause one side to be uneven? Don't struts control the dampining?

The coil spring hold the car up, the strut slows the movement of the spring (prevents the car from bouncing)

Maybe the car has sat up for so long without use (maybe years) causing the springs to sag. That would cause the droop in the suspension..

Coney

Spacely
Pictures

both front wheel wells have this same clearance

This is the back right

The worst one, the back left

j13

Keep It Clean
Wow man...you have a problem. Get new springs, no matter how many miles are on them, those sre shot.

Coney

Spacely
ah man yeah i figured... until i have enough to buy a new good set of springs or coil sleeves could i revert the back too stock springs on the illuminas? i hope the struts are okay...

Last edited: