suspension recommendation

jeepers94

93 Integra GS
I have been searching for answers on here and can't really find any info on anything in a second gen integra. I know I need new struts and I bought 4 monroe struts from advanced auto but it doesnt come with any hardware so I am considering returning these and buying something else. I am not very familiar with suspension so I need a little advice on what to get. I want to change all of my struts but I don't want to lower the car as the roads around my house are horrible. I also want to stick with a ride that is basically stock. so what setup do you recoomend I get. I also dont really want to do coilovers as its a little to much for me to spend on a car that is just a daily driver. I am on a bit of a budget so I don't want to spend a whole lot if i don't have to. so just let me know what you recommend for my 93 gs.

jeepers94

93 Integra GS
So I looked around some more and found 3 possible choices for shocks and just wanted to get some feedback on which is best for the value. I narrowed it down to KYB GR-2, Skunk2 Sport, or Tokico HP blues. I have found a few sets going through ERZ and Ebay and don't know which is best. Is there a good replacement spring that will fit these shocks but not change the ride height? like I said I am new to suspension stuff.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I would look at kyb shocks. They make replacement stock shocks that are pretty nice. Better than Monroe IMO.

The springs you chose will control lowering WAAAYY more than the shock. So if you use stock springs you'll be fine.

***update: kyb agx is the stock replacement I believe.

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Oh and if you want aftermarket springs, Suspension Techniques makes springs that only lower 1 inch. But you could probably just stick with your stock springs.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Yes you can keep the stock springs. Just make sure you use a spring compressor when you take the assembly apart otherwise you'll make a shock rocket when you unbolt the tophat lol (you can get a spring compressor kit at sears for about $50. Just return it when your done haha).

Of those choices, I would NOT go with the skunk2 if you just want a replacement shock; Skunk2 is more performance oriented. The KYBs are stock replacement shocks, so you can't go wrong with them. If you EVER plan on lowering the car I'd suggest the Tockicos, otherwise just stick w/ the GR-2s.

jeepers94

93 Integra GS
Yes you can keep the stock springs. Just make sure you use a spring compressor when you take the assembly apart otherwise you'll make a shock rocket when you unbolt the tophat lol (you can get a spring compressor kit at sears for about $50. Just return it when your done haha).

Of those choices, I would NOT go with the skunk2 if you just want a replacement shock; Skunk2 is more performance oriented. The KYBs are stock replacement shocks, so you can't go wrong with them. If you EVER plan on lowering the car I'd suggest the Tockicos, otherwise just stick w/ the GR-2s.
ok thanks for the help. I knew about the spring compressor and I already got one from one of my dads friends. I am now leaning towards going with the kyb gr-2 shocks. And last do you know if the kyb comes with the bottom bolt or bushings because there isnt anything in the monroe boxes.

*edit* is the only reason you reccommend the tokicos because of lowering because they are the same price as the kybs

Last edited: