Swap Headache

LitosDA

I have a 90 DA, the orginal motor final gave at 220 so i couldn't be upset. Got a great deal on a b18b long block. Everything went great, little snags here and there but everything else turned out fine, until it came time to start it. It ran for 3 minutes and died and its been a battle since. I've replaced the dizzy twice and the main relay and it starts but it will not idle down. A buddy of mine brought up timing, but I've had this motor timed while out of the car and once more since install. So it got timed once again and now will not start, you hear it almost go, but just wont. I'm running out of ideas and hair too pull. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks

Prozon

Kris
A few important questions;

Does it have spark?
Does it have fuel?
Good compression on the new engine?

Is the idling high due to improperly adjusted throttle cable by change?
Does it only idle high, or will it go from high to low?

LitosDA

It has spark (new dizzy, cables, and plugs), fuel (all new injectors, lines, pump, and filter), the compression checks on all cylinder. The cable seems to be fine, but I'll definately take another look. At first it just idled at 2000 rpm and then after running new vaccum hoses it came down to around 1300. After redoing the timing it sat at 1100, but if left running it drops and then of course the car dies out, but haven't been able to get it to start again since.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

A member on here brought up the ground on the thermostat housing. Might want to take a look at it.

Prozon

Kris
Yes. Make sure your ground cables are good too. I can think of four on my car. How many do you have connected and where are they? There is one that should ground to your thermostat like mirriorimg said.

Just because you have new injectors, lines, pump, and filter does not mean you have fuel flowing. Can you hear the fuel pump prime? Same for the new new distributor, wires, and plugs. I assume you actually checked the plugs sparking though.

My main concern would be the ground cables. It's easy to forget one, and sometimes one is all it takes.