Switched to Synthetic, now Losing Oil

MxDon35

Hey guys, I searched quite a bit and didn't find anything about my problem... if its already out there and I missed it I apologize.

Like the title says, I have just switched to synthetic 2 changes ago, and ever since the switch i've been losing approximately 1 quart of oil between changes of 3000 miles.

Before i switched, i NEVER lost a DROP of conventional oil. What gives?

Should I switch back to dino oil or what? I ran mobil 1 the first time, and then this last oil change i put in Mobil 1 High Mileage.

The car is a 2001 DC2 with 80,000 miles on it. I should also note that i do a lot of highway driving to work at about 4k rpms. With it being geared so low, could the high rpms be making me lose oil? and why was it not losing any with conventional?

I'm kinda stuck on this, not sure how to proceed. I hate spending extra on good oil only to lose it and have to buy more.

Any help is appreciated, thanks everyone!

hen92

Are you using the same weight? I've head a lot of talk about Mobil 1 oil burning easily. I think if you only go up to 4k rpms and not gunning it. I don't see why you would be losing oil.

jbrown97ls

I've been told that switching to synthetic after using conventional breaks up any conventional sludge and will "seep through" easier due to. Looser electrons or some shit like that. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it makes sense.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Synthetic is thinner overall I believe..I don't use synthetic in my teg because I've seen people get leaks by switching (and they didn't have them with conventional)

MxDon35

Thanks everyone, Looks like i'll be going back to conventional. Hope it doesn't mess anything up (which I have read it doesn't). What is the best conventional oil to run?

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Whatever oil you like. This question will get you infinite answers. It all comes down to what you and your car like. Mine has a thing for valvoline, my last one had a thing for castrol, the one before that only liked pensoil(ewww), and my first teg liked the cheap parts store brand oils. Every engine is different, just use what she likes.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
conventional just isn't consistent, so its harder for it to leak because it will build up. Performance-wise synthetic is better.

Is it leaking or just burning?

MxDon35

I don't think it's burning it, because there is nothing other than a little white smoke which is normal right? Although maybe its burning since on the highway I'm running around 4000 rpm. What are other signs of it burning oil?

98gsrDc2

stolen....
Synthetic is thinner overall I believe..I don't use synthetic in my teg because I've seen people get leaks by switching (and they didn't have them with conventional)
+1...synthetic is considerably thinner than conventional oil...if synthetic is a must for u then I'd consider using a heavier weight...