Switching between regular and premium..

mjones73

From what I understand, the premium fuels at top tier stations contain less ethanol than lower grades.. So if that's correct, then actually it is better for your car. Being that older cars like mine aren't exactly ethanol friendly. Please correct any incorrect information, as this is just something that I picked up from an old friend. That being said, I have a gsr swap, so I only run top tier premium anyway.
I haven't seen anything backing that personally. I have a GSR so I always run 92 octane as a minimum also.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
Can't believe people still say to "sell your car if you dont want to put the 'right' gas in..." People are trying to save money, even if its just a few dollars, dont be a douche. If you have a GSR, put in premium because you get slightly better fuel economy which in the end is about the same cost as putting in regular.
Put in Regular gas if your car is non-vtec, no reason in paying more.
I do suggest throwing in a can of fuel system cleaner every couple years or so after the winter fuel blend ends around spring time. Ask your fuel attendant when they switch.
- Aaron
They run different gas mixes in winter?

Sent from my EVO with tapatalk.

01TegLuv

i have a nonvtec, so no reason to run premium? i do intend to use some injector cleaner during my next fill up

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
yes . all gas is blended 8 times a year for the different seasons
But in Western Washington there is only one season a year... Fall. I mean, there's usually that one weekend in August that is nice... But otherwise it's fall. They must keep the same blend for that...

grayghost

A VERY basic primer on octane rating can be found here.

For those with too little time to read it, the important parts are:

Severe knock causes severe engine damage, such as broken connecting rods, melted pistons, melted or broken valves and other components (this is known as bad things). The octane rating is a measure of how likely a gasoline or liquid petroleum fuel is to self ignite. The higher the number, the less likely an engine is to pre-ignite and suffer damage.

Many high-performance engines (GSR's) are designed to operate with a high maximum compression, and thus demand fuels of higher octane. A common misconception is that power output or fuel efficiency can be improved by burning fuel of higher octane than that specified by the engine manufacturer (premium in a non vtec engine). The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of the fuel being burnt. Fuels of different octane ratings may have similar densities, but because switching to a higher octane fuel does not add more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot develop more power.

However, burning fuel with a lower octane rating than that for which the engine is designed often results in a reduction of power output and efficiency. Many modern engines are equipped with a knock sensor (a small piezoelectric microphone), which sends a signal to the engine control unit, which in turn retards the ignition timing when detonation is detected. Retarding the ignition timing reduces the tendency of the fuel-air mixture to detonate, but also reduces power output and fuel efficiency. (If your engine does not have a knock sensor or it is disabled or non functioning due to modifications refer to the paragraph on bad things.)

Synopsis: If you do not have an Integra with a vtec engine you should run regular gasoline and save a few pennies at the pump. If you have a GSR (vtec) you should run premium and pay the few extra pennies and not b**** about it.

Sorry, this is a long winded way to repeat what many of you have said earlier.

Last edited:

grayghost

An understandable discussion on blending of gasoline for summer and winter use can be found here.

Down and dirty: All blending is further complicated by state and federal interference. In many cases where the politics trumps the science to our detriment.

grayghost

Ethanol added to your gasoline by Federal/State mandate because it is a "renewable/green" fuel source.

Some things you might want to remember about ethanol:
1. In the USA, most ethanol comes from corn. Corn is the most common feedstock for chicken, pork and beef production. Increased competition with ethanol as a fuel has driven the costs of feedstock up by a minimum factor of 5. This results in you paying more for these items at the grocery store.
2. Ethanol is a less effecient fuel than gasoline. For every percentage increase in ethanol content in your gasoline, the performance/fuel economy you can expect from a gallon of fuel will drop. Ethanol blends have a lower energy content.
3. Ethanol is hydroscopic. This means it will asorb water from the surrounding atmosphere. If you don't understand that this is a BAD THING, the next time you fill up your tank, pour a gallon of water in first. Trust me it will not wash out your system.
4. Ethanol is more corosive than gasoline and can cause pittting in metal surfaces and general erosion of all materials in the fuel sytem.
5. The debate as to whether or not the use of ethanol blended in gasoline is "good for the planet" is as convoluted as the debate about global warming. The watershed for politicians appears to be whether they or their state makes money from corn.

A reasonable article can be found here. On this one you should persue other sources to help clarify the misstatements and misleading portions.

If you care about your car and want to ruin your sleep at night, google "ethanol damages engines". My fear is that as new engines are developed that can tolerate ethanol, our beloved government will regulate the fuel supply in a manner that will render older cars like ours non drivable. All in the name of being more green even though it is not provable science.

Last edited:

krisx13

Schweet.
i always put 91 in my car, i dont know if its just me but i notice a bit of a difference in pick up. my car feels like it has no balls when i run regular.

killaberna

i always put 91 in my car, i dont know if its just me but i notice a bit of a difference in pick up. my car feels like it has no balls when i run regular.
wow i have a gsr and ever since i got it about six months or so ago iv been running 87 octane, glad this thread came up NOW i know to run 91 all the time,, FTW>..why didnt anyone tell me i was cutting my gsr's life shorter now i feel like a dick..lol

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
wow i have a gsr and ever since i got it about six months or so ago iv been running 87 octane, glad this thread came up NOW i know to run 91 all the time,, FTW>..why didnt anyone tell me i was cutting my gsr's life shorter now i feel like a dick..lol
It should say use premium gas on your cluster. :facepalm: