Tach gone haywire / stalls and runs like crap

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
Tach started jumping around like crazy
Randomly stalls (typically when coasting to a stop with clutch in)

I had replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs not very long ago. The last time it died on me it would crank but not start. Turns out the set screw in the rotor backed out and trashed the points on the cap and the rotor. So they were replaced again and it started up. Problem is it still isnt running right. It kind of cuts out on me a little still. Now unfortunately I havent been able to do any more test drives with it to see how its really running. But it was still running like crap the 3 blocks it took to get home from where it broke down.

Im trying to figure out if the issue with the tach could be related? Im thinking maybe its a bad ground somewhere? But i really dont know.

input please...

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
ICM - Ignition control module
its going bad, these are all the symptoms
open your distributor, and the little rectangular unit, screwed into the the distributor with 4 wires plugged on it is your ICM, check for loose connections, if there aren't any, take it out and inspect it for dammage. they are kinda pricy
around 200 new oem.

Last edited:

jznsn2u

open your distributor, and the little rectangular unit, screwed into the the distributor with 4 wires plugged on it is your ICM, check for loose connections, if there aren't any, take it out and inspect it for dammage. they are kinda pricy
around 100 new oem.
x2. don't buy a used one.

avan

You can get the ICM test at auto zone first. They chould be able to dx the prob with an OHmmeter. The cost for the ICM should run you about 50 to 70 dollars. If it is in the 2-3 hundreds I suggest you buy the whole rebuilt dizzy. It could solve alot of your other old electrical components that tend to breqk down at the same time especially if the car is 10-15 years old. Good luck.

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
around 200 new oem.
i was under the impression that the new dizzy i got came with a new one. well lets put it this way... i never touched it when replacing it.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
well these are the exact same symptoms i had when mine went out ,and i opened up the dizzy and some how the screw got loose and it broke a corner off it because it hit the rotor, wont hurt to take it out and check, its not hard to get out.