Tachometer drops dead. WTF?

madriagax619

Alright, here's the situation. I've got a 2001 Acura Integra GSR. The tachometer runs smooth in neutral. When accelerate pass ~6k, or 5k when I accelerate hard, the tachometer drops to 0. After shifting gears, the tachometer will resume to reading RPM, unless, of course, I rev past 5 or 6k RPM. The engine runs smooth, no problem there.

Here's the sequence of events I have tried in attempt to fix the problem, none worked.

-open distributor and tighten all wires.
-replace cap and rotor.
-swap a distributor from a 99 GSR.
-reset ECU.

Anyone ever experience this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
its the speed sensor on top of the tranny, right under the intake.. take it off, clean it (wd40) and reinstall.. that worked for me

madriagax619

It's my tachometer, not speedometer. Thanks for help, though. Anyone else?

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
im pretty sure that speed sensor is going to tell you your rpm.. if coy is saying it hes probably right

im pretty sure that speed sensor is going to tell you your rpm.. if coy is saying it hes probably right
I thought the tach sensor came off the negative wore on the distributor....

OP, if you have changed out all that stuff try a new cluster to see if that's the problem.

AwesomeSN

How so? Because of the gearing, one that's goiing around 40mph can be either at 2.5k or 7k..so how would the ECU know? I highly doubt it's dependent on the speed sensor.

Red Raptor

i also have the same problem, i changed the cluster and have the same problem still. i just bought the car and the cluster had a post to stop the RPM at 4K? i havent seen any other cluster like it anywhere?
i'm thinking i want tot replace the distributor, does nayone have any ideas?