Tachometer not working.. Starting issue.

No no, this is a distributor problem. Check the two plugs going to your distributor and make sure all the wires are ok. I've seen this before a few times.
By alternator I meant distributor. :lol:
I was picturing the distributor in my head the whole time I was typing my response. Thanks Aussie

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
sorry for bumping but I cannot find this problem in 2nd gen I see someone has problem and I see that people say its distributor... I checked the back of the bezel for signal for the tach which I think is blue cable, I went under the hood WHICH blue cable is it? by the dizzy. I took a light tester to all blue and one of them made car die when I contacted it when I punched it with the tester lol. but the one with two wires the blue doesn't give light the other does... as for the rest I don't get light from any blue =(!!

acclude

cheap bastard
It is the blue wire in the two wire dist. plug. The reason it's not making your test light light up is because it is a DC voltage tester and the blue tach wire is an AC voltage signal. Use a multimeter set to AC voltage and probe the wire. As RPM's increase, the voltage should increase as well. That's how your tach work.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
lol a test light does work i just put it on positive this time around... its the cluster =/

Red Raptor

did replacing the cluster fix the tach problem? i have problems with it too, ijumps all over the gauge never giving the right RPM; i have replaced the cluster and got the same problem still. i'm thinking ill replace the dizzy next.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
yeah theres also 2 wires that go screw onto the distributor if you take the cap and rotor off...maybe one of those wires came loose