Taking off.

zack11122

So today I noticed sometimes when I take off I hear a thumping noise. Whether the wheel is turned or straight I hear about 3 or 4 thumps. I'm thinking its my clutch or diff. If I let off the clutch just right it doesn't do it. I have a staged clutch. I think its a stage 3. Not sure though. I'm driving a 98 ls with a b20 swap.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

zack11122

Nope. It stopped doing it but I let the clutch off aggresively. But if I let it out slow it knock 4 times. Not like a diff click. It kind of sounds like a ball joint. But I need opinions.

osiris19

It's kind of hard to go off when you can't judge where the sound is coming from. Is the noise coming from the passenger side front? That would be more likely trans related or something in the suspension. Could be axles. Pull your wheels and look for any loose parts. Make sure your axles are firmly locked in the diff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

zack11122

It's coming from the front passenger side. I think it may be the upper ball joint. As my driver side one looked pretty bad

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Sounds like the axle, does it do it when you shift smoothly once your rolling, or just when you are taking off? If it's just when you are taking off it's most likely an axle. A ball joint will typically make noise all the time, especially when you are turning. It could also be a motor mount bad, try to see if you can rock your engine (by hand), if it moves easily check the mounts.

zack11122

Yeah its just when I take off. But if I take off smooth no noise.

osiris19

Sounds like an axle. Rough take off throws it around most likely.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

zack11122

And it was the axle! Went to pull myself under my cat and got a hand full of grease. Thanks guys.