Tank Size? Confused.

soccer4life

Cold Air Intake looses some MPG's as the air is slightly more dense because its "cold"er. The other intake was closer to warmth which inturn is more efficient. Some route the intake near the header to pickup the hotter air. Thats why I run a SRI instead of my CAI now. Not a huge difference but some.
Since when does colder air mean less efficiency? Correct me if im wrong but isnt that the whole point of a cold air intake? to get colder air and run better?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
If you drive in cold weather, the air is more dense and the engine needs more gasoline for their to be a proper 14.7/1 Air to Fuel ratio. Its less efficient in the sense that you get poorer fuel economy but more power because there is more air, or atleast that's what its suppose to do.

OlegWasHere

If you drive in cold weather, the air is more dense and the engine needs more gasoline for their to be a proper 14.7/1 Air to Fuel ratio. Its less efficient in the sense that you get poorer fuel economy but more power because there is more air, or atleast that's what its suppose to do.
I'm not sure about fuel efficiency but super street had an article In last months issue that they tested HP/tq on a cold/warm/hot engine
The warm was the best cold was the worst

grayghost

When I went from the stock air box to a K&N intake I gained 1 or 2 miles per gallon. And yes, I have a spread sheet documenting milage for the entire 220,000 miles I have owned this car.

Galactica

When I went from the stock air box to a K&N intake I gained 1 or 2 miles per gallon. And yes, I have a spread sheet documenting milage for the entire 220,000 miles I have owned this car.
That would follow suit with what they've been saying then because unless your K&N was an actual CAI that went out of the engine bay, you will be drawing warmer air in all the time since the open element is not covered by a box and being fed by the cooler air from the stock piping to the box but is instead drawing straight engine bay air, which will definitely be warmer.