Tapped oil pan .vs. Moroso (NSFW)

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
Its like I'm trying to enter the guniess book of records for the poorest turbo setup man!... but I do not want to cheap out too much...

I was pretty confident that I would be able to tap that pan and weld the bung inside/out. I know a ton of you guys may have done this before and it works fine... but I know there is another ton of people who has done the same thing and ran into problems/oil leaks <--My fear

I have searched but have not found a good write-up on tapping oil pans... I know I am probably overlooking that portion of the setup, and I want to keep headaches to the minimum during the build u know....

Or I can simply go and get rapped for a moroso pan that saves the hassle off everything... (and get an option to run a oil temperature line if I want) .... but for 141 dollars out my ass???? ouch

What are my options?... and please! let me know if there's a good reliable way to tap that ass... opps I mean pan

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
My tapped pan works fine, The benefit of the Moroso is the baffles, which you can still buy some mugen baffles and have them welded in your stock pan.

Conclusion, save your money.

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
I love this site... learn something new everyday!...

Okay now... what are baffles and how do they help?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
You know how in your oil pan it has different levels? Those are baffles. Aftermarket baffles are a little better because when you are road racing/circuit racing and taking hard turns, the lateral g's with a stock baffle will cause the oil to move tot he side ofe the motor and oil pan where the oil pickup can't reach. This will starve your motor of oil and ruin vital parts like your bearings and pistons. A aftermarket baffle like the one in the moroso pan or the mugen baffles prevent this.
But they are not neccissary unless you roadrace/ circuit race

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
You can get the Moroso for $129 shipped from Lightningmotorsports.com you just gotta learn to shop around. Do not get the 5.5qt pan, they are known to leak. If you are wanting to tap your stock pan here are some pans of my old B20 (same pan as LS) pan that I tapped

Buy a weld in fitting from Jegs or wherever you can find a -10 AN fitting. Drill hole to fit fitting at the top most part you can find

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
You know how in your oil pan it has different levels? Those are baffles. Aftermarket baffles are a little better because when you are road racing/circuit racing and taking hard turns, the lateral g's with a stock baffle will cause the oil to move tot he side ofe the motor and oil pan where the oil pickup can't reach. This will starve your motor of oil and ruin vital parts like your bearings and pistons. A aftermarket baffle like the one in the moroso pan or the mugen baffles prevent this.
But they are not neccissary unless you roadrace/ circuit race
That makes alot of sense!... I'll be sure not to abuse it.

If you're not confident in your welding skills, just have somebody else weld it for you.
Definitly that! Im going to have my brother who is a mechanic weld it for me... My welding SUCKS.

just weld in a nipple, Had mine done and no leaks 20 bucks
Here's The one I had in mind...

But here's the one that I'm using. (an identical picture)

Prozon

Kris
Josh, link me on that? I was just looking into it yesterday and I couldn't find ANY used pans for under $200. I think I found one for $140 on eBay? New were a lot more.

If you really can find them for $129 I would probably buy one.

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
I ended up taking it back off after it leaked the first time, and got it welded... so far... so good... but I will end up getting a moroso later on when I get my oil temp/level gauges....

turboda4dr

450whp
thats stock configeration that why. i got the ones with baffle and it was 250. my was for b1bc1,worth the investment.