Technical input (Shifting)

Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf_DA9
Ok to start off I just bought
9 lb. flywheel
exedy stage 1 clutch
ys1 transmission "LS" (from sychrotech)

This is for my 93 LS (b18a)

I had aamco install my new equipment, although I think they screwed me over and F***ed up somewhere.

Ok so here my dilemma,
Whenever I Shift I feel a clunk in my shifter (leaving and entering gears)
now it doesn't prevent me from going into gear but it is a noticeable hesitation that leaves me concerned.

Recently while driving, I shifted from 2nd to 3rd at about 5,000 rpm and I heard a GRIND.
Could it be that the clutch is not disengaging properly or that my shift linkage be faulty.

Any input would be helpful.
Thank you

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
If you have trouble disengaging they might have installed bearings wrong or not greased properly. Also the most common is they bent the clutch disk hub during installation because it wasn't aligned properly, or they let the transmission hang.

If you weren't having those problems before, I can feel comfortable saying it was a botched install.

Also if they didn't adjust the clutch properly you will have problems.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
What kind of flywheel did you install?

Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf_DA9
it took my car back to see why it shift that way and they told me it was fine.

so I had another mechanic (from a different shop) take a look, he said its just new equipment , that I should give it about 500 mile and see if it still persists.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I don't buy that but good luck. That clutch should have no issues with shifting or disengaging after installation.

Unless you need more training on shifting properly, then maybe it is driver error, but if driven correctly you should not experience any problems.

Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf_DA9
Yeah that's the whole dilemma I'm having.

I've ruled out driver error already (I'd rather it be me and not the car).
I pressed the clutch all the way down, waited 2-3 seconds and then shifted. Same outcome.

I might just have to spend a buck and have this tuner shop take a look.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Maybe have someone very proficient drive the car and see if they have the same problems. You might not be used to the new setup.

Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf_DA9
Hey, I know my car didn't do that before these repairs.

Beside my first Integra didn't have much more than a stage 2 clutch and A1 transmission on a b20 motor.
I could slap the stick and it would just glide into gear. No Problem

So I shouldn't be having as much difficulty as I am.