Teg burning oil at 120K

Brett1414

Searching for that 1 swap
So awhile ago i showed how my teg was smoking out the exhaust and i thought my head gasket was blown BUT i got my teg back from the mechanic and i am burning oil......:( He said this may get worse so i don't know how i should approach this. I have been experiencing issues with overheating up til today and i am asking for some opinions. (Selling it would be one of them)

Russell D

So does it not overheat anymore?

Based on what I've seen before on honda's that burned oil and I pulled the head, I guessing it needs rings, not a job for a novice, but engine removal isn't necessary but makes it a lot easier!

Russell D

The LS that was in my civic when I bought it burned 3 quarts of oil every tank of gas, that's not character... I could smell oil driving 70mph on the highway... I was a little happy when the headgasket blew

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
The LS that was in my civic when I bought it burned 3 quarts of oil every tank of gas, that's not character... I could smell oil driving 70mph on the highway... I was a little happy when the headgasket blew
That just means she's been through the ringer a time or two ;).

I would hope that common sense tells you that that's a problem. A quart or two between an oil change isn't that bad however.

Hell I've gone to top off my oil and on 7 different occasions, seen no oil on the dipstick. Just hit 192k. :thumbup:

Ganyon

I've been burning oil since 120k and I just rolled over 147k today. Just keep it topped off and drive the hell out of it.

Russell D

I wonder what it is with Hondas that makes them burn oil of driven hard...I've had myself and friends have all had Hondas that burn oil, it's by no means uncommon, but I recently bought a 97 integra sedan with 365k miles, the car didn't burn or drip any oil, and the tranny was probably the smoothest shifting b series tranny I have ever driven. The previous owner told me neither the engine nor transmission have ever been apart!

This car is the best example of Hondas burning oil of driven hard, 2 weeks ago I pulled the engine and trans and put my b20 in, the ls that was in the integra I put in my civic and sold to a guy I work with, I haven't been in in a week because my wife and I had a baby, but I'm told the car already smokes...

Brett1414

Searching for that 1 swap
It does not overheat anymore so i opened it up yesterday and it was still fine. Very rarely it blows white smoke out the exhaust on cold start but thats about it. Ill probably change my oil today since its due soon anyway....

SoundEfx

White smoke is a sign of the engine burning coolant, not oil.

In either case, keep the rpms low and top off when necessary while saving up for either an engine rebuild or replacement.

I would go replacement because you could them rebuild the engine you took out and keep that as a spare or build a beast out of it.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
I'm using 10 W 30 in mine to try and slow the oil loss. I'd be hesitant to use anything thicker.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
My Miata burns oil, along with 95% of the NAs I see on the road. I actually think it is a feature of the B16ZE engine to burn oil.
I also get some HLA noise which is rather annoying but fairly harmless. Everyone I've talked to just says keep it topped off and drive the hell out of it.

I put in 10w-40 synthetic and I still burn oil and have the HLA noise. Don't really want to jump up to 10w-50 but some people do in order to get stable oil pressure readings and prevent burning.

The discussions about what oil to use for a Miata is quite large, ranging from 0w-20 to 10w-50, and having people swear by their oil choice for whatever reason.

DjZGFX

I've got 139k on my GS-R (vtec motors burn oil). Started using Castrol GTX 10w-40 and slowed it down a lot from a quart every 500 miles to about 1500 miles lol. Try going up from whatever you're using to something thicker.