Temp problems...

tommyp484

Getting annoyed because I can't figure this out:
Car temp takes forever to heat up sometimes,
Temp gauge seems off
Rad fan doesn't kick on, does with a/c
Temp gauge drops fast while driving if I turn the heat up

Car idles fine but I swear there's a slight hesitation I hear. I can't figure this out please help

(Unrelated? Car chugs slightly randomly. Some little loss of power when accelerating at 2k sometimes.)

Ganyon

He probably knows from experience. Plus if I'm right, isn't that a safety so the car doesn't overheat.

tommyp484

He probably knows from experience. Plus if I'm right, isn't that a safety so the car doesn't overheat.
Even if the temp gauge isn't reading hot? It always heats up to the same point on the gauge. I'm not doubting him either, it'd just help me understand if someone explained exactly how the thermostat is causing my problems.

Amiguel6

Questioning Aussie is the same as trying to question Muckman...just don't do it. These guys know everything. Just go with what they say

Nick_C78

Taking forever to warm up is the huge indicator of a stuck open thermostat. The fluctuating temps are also the other major sign. The thermostat is exactly how it sounds. Just like the thermostat you have in your house to keep your house at whatever temperature you want, except it has a preset temp, which for oem is 190 i think. Its job is to keep the coolant temp at that temperature. It does this by opening and letting coolant flow until it cools down to 190, and it closes to make the coolant stop flowing, which causes it to heat up until it hits 190 in which case it opens again.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Nick gave a good explanation. It's strictly mechanical, so if your car is not warming up it's going to be the thermostat. If your temp sensor was bad the gage would most likely not read at all. It's a very common problem with very standard symptoms.

Your other problem may or may not be related, you should fix the thermostat and see if it helps.

Swampman

Take out the thermostat, boil a pot a water and put the the thermostat in the water see if it
Opens also check the temp of the water I think the it should change at 180 degrees F not 100% though