Test pipes

Afireinside

I heard "hi-flow cats" are worthless and a waste of money. No power gain at all.

I'm smogged for 2yrs, and ill like to run a test pipe just to save my cat for next time I need to pass smog lol

Oh and I think a properly tunes fully built All Motor B18B1 will smoke an '07 mustang ;)
I regularly smoke v6 mustangs with my stock b1.

I also would like to see dyno results of test pipe vs cat. It sounds like a lot of opinions and no real proof. I dont know either but it's time for exhaust so i'm trying to do my research.
Thanx

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you lose power with a test pipe unless you have a built motor. You can feel the torque curve move higher.its harder for me to get going without a cat

96GSRteg

Tyler
I regularly smoke v6 mustangs with my stock b1.
either they are old shitty stangs or the drivers are retarded.

I also would like to see dyno results of test pipe vs cat. It sounds like a lot of opinions and no real proof. I dont know either but it's time for exhaust so i'm trying to do my research.
Thanx
I have seen some around here, i dont remember who posted it though. but it basically showed that it does in fact not give you any gains through the power band on a stock motor. It was one of those "debunking myths that hXc kids like to believe" threads.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
it moves stuff around in your power band, i prefer it for circuit because my torque band feels higher rather than cutting out sooner

elysianite

Samurai and and 96GSRteg have good points. I grew up reading a crap load of Sport Compact Car... which didn't last, I think, mainly because it actually incorporated too much science, fact, and logic than the demographic was typically interested in hearing... I think they were more interested in making their cars simply look or sound quicker/faster, without actually being either.

They dynoed and tested and dragged cars many times and across the board supported the idea that removing a cat was simply idiotic with regards to getting worthwhile gains out of a motor. The gain of a couple ponies at 7500 RPMs was never worth the loses in the other parts of the power ban, not to mention the mass s***ting you're doing all over our breathing air year-round.

If you're going to upgrade for the sake of increasing your car's performance, do it right... or wait until you can afford to do so. I'm probably about as broke or more so than anyone here and, yes, I LOVE driving a quick car, but I'm not going to make the rest of the world pay for my poorly-researched performance experiments.

Start with creating back pressure on the front end... in other words, get more air in... intake/filter, manifold, turbo/super, higher-flow injectors to match the increase in air, more efficient ignition, etc. Then have someone with some know-how determine what kind of exhaust you will need to maximize gains... header, high-flow cat, cat-back of a reasonable and usable diameter, etc.

BS2009

I have a B20 swap that is just barely over stock and a test pipe definitely added alot of sound to my exhaust system!!

gamerchad

Just to get back to the b18b beating a v6, im sure its true...ive beaten one w/ a cavalier, stock to stock...not one of my proudest times, but that car got me from A to B

96GSRteg

Tyler
Just to get back to the b18b beating a v6, im sure its true...ive beaten one w/ a cavalier, stock to stock...not one of my proudest times, but that car got me from A to B
again it depends on the year of the mustang, the specific model, and who was driving it! seriously. its like saying i can throw an apple faster than you can throw an orange.

Afireinside

09 5 spd mustang 4.0 and i've done it many times my boy keeps insisting his is faster and he takes me off the line for about 200ft and then i blow by him every time threw every gear. I done it a few more times to stupid v6 mustangs in the negihbor hood. As long as you make sure your in the power band when you dump the clutch I will smoke them all day long.

I still would like to see some dyno results on the test pipe issue because i'm gonna buy a full exhaust that comes with the test pipe and I could care less if I use but why not if it's included.
Thanks

96GSRteg

Tyler
I still would like to see some dyno results on the test pipe issue because i'm gonna buy a full exhaust that comes with the test pipe and I could care less if I use but why not if it's included.
Thanks
why not? do the research and you will find the dyno graphs. the other reason why not is because it sounds like shi.t, doesnt provide you with any real results, and you can sell it for 100+ bucks on CL to any teenager who owns a teg.

Afireinside

why not? do the research and you will find the dyno graphs. the other reason why not is because it sounds like shi.t, doesnt provide you with any real results, and you can sell it for 100+ bucks on CL to any teenager who owns a teg.
I did do search and couldnt find any dyno results, but if it makes it's sound to ricer i'll just keep the cat I hate the ricer fartbox sound. I'm trying to quite my car thats why I need new exhaust. Maybe i'll get lucky and can craigslist it.

Thanx