The Honda Motor Company has lost it's way

72Spitfire

The new Honda Odyssey has a built in vacuum cleaner! WTF? Why not buy a shop vac that has more suction power and cleans ALL your vehicles, house, dog etc? Honda seems to be all about fuel efficiency and yet they add this fn' vacuum that takes up space, add weight and costs gas mileage.
They won't make a proper sports car and continually lose their once majority tuner market share. Honda once had 80% of the tuner market, they now have about 30% and it's dropping. They seem to refuse to make a Suburu BRZ fighter. The only sports car they have is the new NSX which is quite honestly out of the price range of most of us.

Sorry to rant. I just feel that Honda has really lost it's way. Soihiro Honda (RIP) is rolling over in his grave. I keep having faith that my favorite company of all time will turn around and then i see things like this vaccum in the SUV thing. :shock:

What are your opinions? Am i off base here?

OLDSKOOLACURA

I've noticed it also honda/acura needs to get their shit together and get put of line that the other manufacturers are in

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Honestly I feel they've been going the wrong way since they fattened the Integra up to its death.

And screw the CR-Z. Give me one with a 1.5 i-VTEC motor, six speed stick, and nothing else. No hybrid crap, no infotainment baloney, just a bare-bones car that I can mod to my heart's content.

And Acura could just die for all I care at this point. Everything they make is gaudy, ugly, and seemingly aimed at small-membered middle managers.

Local

..it's a van. I don't think anybody buying the van is too concerned about performance or weight. It's not that bad of an idea either. Imagine that thing full of kids on a road trip and they spill cereal or something all over the car. It's an easier way to keep it clean & another creature comfort. I can see others mimicking this as well.

Hell, I'd even love one in my dc2. My interior gets dirty so fast & I don't have my own garage with a power outlet. This would be a nice convenience.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Honda is just catering to consumer demand. Yeah I hate it that they no longer make something like the dc2 or the s2k but it is what it is. In this day and age a lot of the kids who wanna mod their cars can't afford a 2013 civic to do it. Everyone mods the older models because they're cheap leaving little demand for new models to mod.

As for the FRS competition, the buyers of that are a small market. I live in a large city with a good modding community and there is only around 100 FRS and brz's TOTAL. Compared to the thousands of new civics and Odyssey's.

Consumer demand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
Toyobaru sold a total of less than 10k FRS/BRZ last year.

I see no reason Honda should get into that business.

MAYBE if they get back into F1.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There isnt a single Honda or Acura in the past 5 years that I would personally own.
How about that 31 thousand dollar Mugen Civic? *rolls eyes* Please...

94RS

No fucks given.
First off, my thoughts about Honda since the mid-00s can be summed up by a pic.

But seriously, they killed they Integra, small Civics, S2K, NSX, and they made the Fit look like it's about to have a baby.... Their "reincarnation" of the CR-X fails on too many levels, and all current Acura's look hungry with that stupid ass grill design.

I know they came to this country with small, fuel efficient vehicles that happened to be fun, but now they make big (for Honda) boring cars that are less fuel efficient than their cars were 40 years ago.

Honestly I feel they've been going the wrong way since they fattened the Integra up to its death.

And screw the CR-Z. Give me one with a 1.5 i-VTEC motor, six speed stick, and nothing else. No hybrid crap, no infotainment baloney, just a bare-bones car that I can mod to my heart's content.

And Acura could just die for all I care at this point. Everything they make is gaudy, ugly, and seemingly aimed at small-membered middle managers.
So basically, you want an updated first gen CRX Si....... Which is what they should have made the CR-Z instead of the glorified Insight they actually made.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
There isnt a single Honda or Acura in the past 5 years that I would personally own.
How about that 31 thousand dollar Mugen Civic? *rolls eyes* Please...
You mean this one?

I work with a guy that has one, and he is sort of looking to sell it. It's a good looking car, and with only 500 sold per year, you don't see too many of them.

I think Honda dropped the ball after they killed the RSX. They have had a few decent Civic models but everything else is not true to what Honda should be making. And Acura has become a joke, all of their cars look like crap, I think the new NSX looks like garbage. Really, I think all Honda/Acura cars look like crap since like 2006. The old 1980's Civics could get 49 mpg city and 55 highway. Now I'm not sure if Honda makes any car that can top that.

I think Honda needs to make 2 things:
1) A low performance compact hatchback, with very little creature comforts at a base model. They need to make the car revolve around fuel efficiency. And keep it an all combustion engine drivetrain, no hybrid crap. There is a large market for people that want to get extreme fuel economy, and no new car can meet their demands, hybrids get good city mpgs, but highway mpgs suffer quite a bit.
2) A higher performance "hot-hatch" focused on handling performance, acceleration, and light weight. At my local meets, I've started seeing a few Focus ST's and people are getting really excited about finally having a small high-performance hatchback similar to those normally only seen in the European markets. Ford will be releasing the Fiesta ST in I think 2014, which will be smaller and lighter than the Focus. Honda needs to make a car similar in performance and options to the 1997 Integra Type R. They should take a car and engineer it like they did with the NSX-R, and give it the absolute lightest weight possible, and build it for a pure driving experience.

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
You mean this one?

I work with a guy that has one, and he is sort of looking to sell it. It's a good looking car, and with only 500 sold per year, you don't see too many of them.

I think Honda dropped the ball after they killed the RSX. They have had a few decent Civic models but everything else is not true to what Honda should be making. And Acura has become a joke, all of their cars look like crap, I think the new NSX looks like garbage. Really, I think all Honda/Acura cars look like crap since like 2006. The old 1980's Civics could get 49 mpg city and 55 highway. Now I'm not sure if Honda makes any car that can top that.

I think Honda needs to make 2 things:
1) A low performance compact hatchback, with very little creature comforts at a base model. They need to make the car revolve around fuel efficiency. And keep it an all combustion engine drivetrain, no hybrid crap. There is a large market for people that want to get extreme fuel economy, and no new car can meet their demands, hybrids get good city mpgs, but highway mpgs suffer quite a bit.
2) A higher performance "hot-hatch" focused on handling performance, acceleration, and light weight. At my local meets, I've started seeing a few Focus ST's and people are getting really excited about finally having a small high-performance hatchback similar to those normally only seen in the European markets. Ford will be releasing the Fiesta ST in I think 2014, which will be smaller and lighter than the Focus. Honda needs to make a car similar in performance and options to the 1997 Integra Type R. They should take a car and engineer it like they did with the NSX-R, and give it the absolute lightest weight possible, and build it for a pure driving experience.

1.) Honda Fit.
2.) Meh.

And the FG2/FA5 was a pretty f***ing great car.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Guess no one pays attention to what Honda does in racing... 1.6L direct injected turbo, http://www.hondasacuras.com/2012/07/honda-unveils-turbo-16-liter-direct.html

OR that they are talking to McLaren about being an engine supplier when F1 goes to a 1.6l v6 turbo configuration.

We all know what happened when Honda was with McLaren

So yes, shit happened when they fell out of F1. But they are on the come back and good things are to come. When Honda was in F1 what did we have? NSX, Type R, S2000

94RS

No fucks given.
I see what you're saying there Merlin. Again, I'm gonna bring up th first gen CRX. There was the fuel efficient HF which only weighed around 1800(?) lbs and got over 50mpg, and then the Si as the performance model which still got 30+ mpg.

What they should do is take a note from VW and make a small diesel like the European Polo TDi BlueMotion for an HF model. And then make their own version of a GTi for an Si model.

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
They are moving to families, getting away from modders and tuners. Companies usually dont like you messing with thier cars, try to install a radio with todays gps infotainment systems, its really hard. Its not just wires and a harness anymore.

They are coming out with the ilx, thats a 2 door.

New CEO. No more f1, sport tuned cars. He has even said he is more concerned with fuel economy.

Do you think americans care about the 2-4 lbs a vacuum weighs when they themsevles are 40 lbs too much?

Last edited: