The "is" is back!!!!

heykosal

Angkorian
Return of the BMW 3-series is(injection sport)

335is

WOODCLIFF LAKE, New Jersey — BMW released photos and information today on its new 2011 335is coupe and convertible, nearly a week after Inside Line first reported the new "s" model was arriving in the U.S.

BMW will stage the 335is for an official debut at the 2010 New York Auto Show in March, and the car will arrive at dealers in the late spring. Pricing will start at $50,525 including delivery charges for the 335is coupe, and $59,075 with fees for the convertible.

The BMW 335is is the crown jewel in the newly enhanced BMW 3 Series coupe and convertible lineup. The new model features BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-6 engine, tuned for 320 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. This is the same engine used in the Z4 sDrive35is, where it's rated at 335 hp.

When asked in a group interview why the same engine is rated at 335 hp in the BMW Z4is, BMW officials had a difficult time relaying a clear explanation. First they claimed it was because the six-speed manual tranny couldn't handle much more torque (the manual is not offered in the Z4is). Then another German BMW representative said it was a marketing decision. Lastly, a U.S. official claimed that it was really about a more restricted intake on the 335is because of packaging. He says that the German misunderstood the question and that the product planner (who came up with the original transmission answer) just didn't know what he was talking about.

The car channels its power through a standard six-speed manual transmission, although an optional seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual will also be offered. The seven-speed tranny also offers launch control, which allows the engine to achieve a 10-second burst of up to 370 lb-ft of torque.

BMW says the 335is coupe will close the 0-60-mph gap in 5 seconds flat when equipped with the optional transmission. The convertible version is two-tenths slower.

Consistent with the general 2011 updates across the entire 3 Series lineup, the 335is also receives new high-depth LED taillights, new xenon adaptive headlights with LED-lighted corona rings, and the new hood, which integrates a freshened BMW kidney grille.

Beyond those updates, the 335is will be further distinguished by BMW M Sport enhancements which include comprehensive M aerodynamic body pieces meant to manage airflow, a larger new airdam to promote cooling, and kidney grille surrounds in high-gloss black. Also new for the 335is is a free-flowing sport exhaust system which has been specially tuned to a satisfying, low rumble.

Additional changes include Shadowline black window trim, wing mirror caps in high-gloss black, and standard 18-inch light-alloy wheels in ferric gray color, with 19-inch light-alloy M wheels as an option. And just to make certain that no one misses the car's exclusivity, 335is badges are mounted on each front fender and the edge of the trunk lid.

M Sport upgrades to the 335is continue inside with an M Sport steering wheel, sport seats, anthracite headliner, M door sills, M driver's footrest, M gearshift knob and high-quality stainless-steel sport pedals. More exclusive 335is badging also adorns the car's sporty interior.

Inside Line says: BMW may not have worked out its public rationale to the lower horsepower figure, but that doesn't make the 335is any less desirable. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

heykosal

Angkorian
For $50k I'll go with an old pop up light NSX, with money to spare.
:drool: I love the hidden head light body style NSX. But I'd rather take an 1997 NA2 that has the larger 3.2 but still had the pop ups.
Unfortunately , time and technology will always prevail, and even a base 335i would smoke the NSX and with four seats and a large trunk practically to boot. And not having to worry about the costly aluminum body.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I'm not to worried about BMWs, the NSX is a timeless car. It always looks good, and handles how cars should. Also with the left over money I can buy a daily too.

The only BMW I actually like is an E46 M3. Before they started cramming them full of dumbshit like idrive.

heykosal

Angkorian
The only BMW I actually like is an E46 M3. Before they started cramming them full of dumbshit like idrive.
Which you can also find at about the same price as a E92. I'm undecided on which one I want if/when I can afford one. E46 M3 or E92 335i...

heykosal

Angkorian
For track duties, the GT-R pisses on the M3. For the balla shot calla look, M3 all the way.
1.5-mile road course(I don't remember the name of which), Lap time/Average MPH --
Nissan GT-R: 1:29.3/58.7
BMW M3: 1:26.7/61.1
Porsche 911 Turbo: 1:27.8/59.0

And this is in thin 4200 feet air that chokes a naturally aspirated engine. The M3 makes up the power deficit in faster cornering speeds..and with 414=hp V8 and a 8400RPM redline, doesn't give up much on the straights.

Granted the BMW could never match the GT-R's acceleration but this is with 66 less horsepower and 135 less lb-ft. Still 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is NOTHING to scoff at. Not to mention the direct connection between man and machine, vice-free handling, feathery feel, day-to-day likeability that the GT-R couldn't ever match. Not to mention that Grammy-worthy engine note while the GT-R is worthy of a Dyson badge. The BMW is way more polished and practical

Also this: Base Pricing --
BMW M3: $58,575
Nissan GT-R $70,475
Porsche 911 Turbo $127,060

Superior on the track, a better, more practical and more liveable car day-to-day. Now which one would you buy? Idk about you but I'd take the M3 and put the $12k I saved into my IRA, thanks. I'd even buy the Porsche over the Nissan, if I had the money. It's just worth it.

Every other manufacturer should just give up on building their own cars and make M3s instead:D.

Last edited: