Themiller13's GSR revival

themiller13

My WTB thread Link

Major Diagnosis thread for what ever issues I encounter:
link

Info about original purchase and story has been moved to second post for organization purposes

Things that need to be fixed immediately:

Diagnose the sifter play - seems to me that its the shifter bushings, but when in gear I can move the sifter from one side of the console to the other (read: holy**** I forgot what gear i was in and down shifting is a nerve racking experience, only jacked that up twice during the whole drive, fortunately I never let out the clutch and put it back in neutral when the tranny really started to whine) Did some pre-lim reading and the general consensus is shifter bushings. The exhaust is also open mid pipe (ish) and seems to dump near the bottom of the shifter, so it might have melted anything that used to resemble a bushing. or its another screw up that went hand in hand with the tranny mount issue during the tranny swap.

Edit: Got a good look. Bushings do in fact need replacement and are in the mail. (5/23)
Have now arrived and are awaiting install (6/1)

New axles - the drives side has torn the boot and thrown grease all over the under body, going to replace both for symmetrical parts wear.

Edit: Are being purchased this week (6/1)

Front Passenger side transmission mount - Physically not there, the bracket that goes from the
tranny is MIA and the bushing that the bracket leads to looks worn out. Going to need to hit up a junk yard unless some one has a one for cheap. The vin says the transmission is from a 01 GSR so its been swapped.

Edit: Both mounts aren't there. Will replace with hardrace after both brackets are purchased. (5/24)
All hardware/parts purchased and are awaiting install (6/1)

Fix/figure out/reroute all of the breather hoses that have been chopped and blocked.

Other repair/todo list

-Use DB's door actuator for driver's door
-All of the Security goodies that DB has done to it Started
-Radiator flushCurrently Empty
-Swap the '97 DB's hood, quarter panels, front bumper, and head lights over
-Clean the entire interior (currently stripped out)
-Swap the entire suspension from the DB minus the ASR that Mr.Gurley has claimed
-Fix the power door locksStarted
-Swap the DB's sound system
-Swap the DB's led interior lights
-Swap the Db's lower Dash cover
-Fix the Exhaust using the DB's
-Reference my written list and transfer all of the Db's parts-to-swap list to here
-Fix the Passenger's door handle, the part to grab has snapped off. swap from DB rear
-Replace Clutch and Brake fluid
-Tint to 15% all around
-Make a part out thread for the DB

Completed
-Wash out the engine bay and the entire car interior currently stripped out
-Remove the CC brain and cable DONE ( 5/8 )
-Add in my catch can to vent the Valve Cover - DONE (5/16)
-Oil change DONE (5/16)
-Re-install the A/c system by moving all of the usable parts from the DB (maybe)Nope removed it all 6/08
-Properly Delete the Power steering system. PO cut the hose from the fluid reservoir and removed
the pump. Plan to use the DIY the loops the rack hose. Done 6/09
-Fuel filterDONE 6/09
-Spark Plugs and wiresDone 6/13
-Fix the trunk latch (buy new one)Done
--Valve lash adjustments Done 6/17
-Timing belt, tensioner, and water pump - its at 171K so its going to be due pretty soon,
Edit: Going to try to time this around the swapping of engine mounts and rad flush (pre-tune) (6/1) DONE 6/18

Future plans:
-Get neptune and OBD1 convert it for a proper tune (already OBD1)
-Get a new IM manifold
-Get a new Header (use DB's for time being)
-Rear wiper delete plug
-Get a cheap black TEMPORARY paint job from Maaco since I have a hook up there
-Color theme: Black paint, purple anoized metal (lugs, ASR tow hooks) and bronze/gold wheels

Other fun facts about the car that might help diagnose any future problems that I run into and will be updated as I find out more:

-It runs a chipped P28 and possibly OBD1 converted (confirmed OBD1)
-Act stage 4 6-puck came on it when purchased
-Intake butterflys have apparently been deleted
-PO had a "buttslut" sticker on the windshield (shown in the picture) that came off immediately
-Purchased lowered on drop zone sleeves and unknown shocks (spring cracked.... twice)
-PO installed and removed an alarm system possibly gauges too
-I b**** a lot about the PO
-Head has apparently been decked.

Timeline
#1 Purchase Trunk latchDONE 6/07
-Order all other parts{B]Done 6/13[/B]
-Install shifter bushings, PS delete fixDONE 6/11
-Drill & remove exhaust & A/c Studs Started
-Install gaskets, rebuild VTEC sol, do valve lash. Inspect Head for any ideas to parts/modsStarted
-Change out Fuel filter &spark plugsDONE 6/12
-Radiator Flush DONE 6/08
-inspect fuel injectors Did... stock as well as everything else
-Purchase lower mount brackets and upper pass mount ordered all new mounts (6/06)
-Install HR RTA bushings
-Swap suspensions, swap exhaust and get welded up.
-Swap front assemblies and axels including tie rods
-Insure and register (Daily status)
-Swap body parts
-Part DB
-Figure out sound system and wire in other things
-Re-install interior
-Purchase Wideband O2 & gauge
-Get tuned on Neptune with dyno
-Get decent paint

Last edited:

themiller13

Original Purchase story
After 6 months of telling myself that I was going to buy a manual DC4 to replace my Auto DB7. I wanted a project to work on during the summer before I leave for school in the fall.

I finally did it on Monday. Well kinda, I bought a '98 GSR instead. :headbang: I'd been browsing craigslist over the entire state of Florida and into Georgia, and Alabama only to find a GSR listed in Tampa on Monday morning. I had 2500 in pocket to spend but it was listed for 3000, I sent him a text saying I was up in Jacksonvile and I was interested but he needed to sweeten the deal, just as a feeler. I had no real intention to buy the car but it never hurts to try right? He tells me to call him, and one long phone call later I've got my phone blowing up with walk around photos of the GSR to be sold to me for $2500. It has some cosmetic issues but the car seems to run pretty good. 3pm comes around and I've got my partner in crime with me to head down to Tampa to buy this thing. 3.5 hours and hundreds of smiles per gallon while blasting down I-75 later and we're in Tampa. Test drive goes good and the car does runs well, we poked around and see some fix-it stuff but nothing that I can't handle (with some educated pointers for the CI family). Another 3.5 hour burn back up to freakville and I've done it. With out a license plate might I add, I got tailed by a state trooper for 20 minutes but he never pulled us over.We were told it was running a chipped P72, and that was partially confirmed by the fire poofs that it spit on slow shifts. I got my DC2 back safe and sound. And on the drive back in to town we were greeted by the 1AM GTR convoy playing around on the beltway. Theres only 3 in Jacksonville that I know of and we saw 6 I felt like that was a blessing from the car gods, christening our arrival into town.

Here's a teaser photo from that night, more to come when I shake this stomach bug. Top Left of the Windshield reads "Buttslut"

So now I turn to you guys to help me bring this beast back to life.The POs have done some dumb back yard mechanic crap, meaning it needs a lot of love but I see a lot of potential from the car. When I give it a little more TLC and feel safer after changing a few things, its going to become my daily and my DB is going to be come a parts harvest for myself, and it will parted out to you guys as well to help me fund the GSR build. So join me for the ride and lets save another teg.

Between yesterday and today I've pulled out most of the interior and started cleaning everything. I'm pretty sure that the PO hasn't ever cleaned it. The dirt and grime is ridiculously thick. I started in the trunk with this as a starting point.

I found a bunch of fun things in here too.

A spark plug, a spark plug wire, the ribbed floor mat thing from the driver side carpet, the top cover to a floor jack, another scissor jack, the windshield molding a bunch of trim screws. the plastic bezel for the radio, and about 2 dollars in pennies. I went on to find a 12mm Craftsman box wrench and two smaller sockets.

When I bought the car there was a few fuses lying around and the PO said that he likes to pocket fuses when he went to salvage yards. I'm not sure they ever made it to his pocket because I've found over 30 of them floating around in there too.

I got part of my answer about the ECU also. I found this hiding under the carpet. The sharpie appears to read "GSR basemap" and the sticker that I would assume has a part number on the side of the ECU has been torn off. I'm no ECU wiz by any means but there appears to be a jumper harness between the ECU and the main harness. I'm hoping its an OBD1 Jumper because that will save me some other hassles down the road. Any Idea of what this might be? I'm going to get a closer look at the plugs tomorrow and match them up with a diagram I found about OBD1 vs OBD2 plugs.

On the other side I found what appears to be the remnants of an alarm system. So now on top of installing mine, I get to chase down all of the leads on the other one and get that rat's nest out of the way. On top of that the Sound System is probably going to have to be re wired as well. I found some 14GA legit speaker wire running to the rears. By the end of this I might as well work as an install tech on these things.

When I ripped off the center console I found that the rubber boot that separates the bottom of the car from the outside has been missing and apparently for a long time. The road grime, grease and dirt is ever where. To the point that I'm just going to trash the old console and use the DB's. so that boot gets added into the todo/buy list.

After it got dark I pulled all the trim pieces inside so I could clean them in the light and out of the warm Florida night. I had the radio up and just minding my own business until this bugger showed up. FWIW that brown streak is 3 inches long for a size reference.

Little guy pops out from under a table and watches me watch him for a few minutes then he runs back under the table. F**Kthat.no I rip the table away from the wall and start swinging the pipe shown in the trunk treasure photo. I kill him and feel good about myself but suddenly LOLBOSSMODE it was carrying babies. I take the pipe and start steam rolling those hoes. a few seconds and a K/D of 61:1 later the beast is dead. I dont play with spiders.

Last edited:

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
Little guy pops out from under a table and watches me watch him for a few minutes then he runs back under the table. F**Kthat.no I rip the table away from the wall and start swinging the pipe shown in the trunk treasure photo. I kill him and feel good about myself but suddenly LOLBOSSMODE it was carrying babies. I take the pipe and start steam rolling those hoes. a few seconds and a K/D of 61:1 later the beast is dead. I dont play with spiders.
Hahaha!! That was the funniest thing I read in a while lol.

Congrats on the pickup and good luck restoring her ;)

Sended from my phone

giLDC4

Slow&Low
Nooo.... you killed her on mother's day... she was going to be a mom of many spiders. lol Nah but I feel you on this one. I would flip out a bit if I were to find this during my build process. A while back I killed one in my garage while working on my Mitsubishi 3000gt back in high school, same thing happened, whole bunch of spiders came out. I just needed that Mexican cucaracha spray XD

Anyhow, keep us posted with your build. Curious to see that engine bay.

themiller13

Back at it again today. I removed some more interior and carpeting.

I also attacked the rat's nest that was the old Clifford Alarm system. I found the LED indicator light that was clearly labeled "Clifford" and there was a proximity sensor floating around under the dash as well. It seemed like the various POs has also installed some gauges at some point. There was a few wires spliced off of the dimmer switch that were dead ended, and two wires that tapped into the ECU. I've yet to fully remove those wires because I want to find the ECU pin out and figure out what information they read.

This picture pretty much sums up how I felt about this part of the restoration.

Who ever wired this thing up had some electrical competency, but not much. I'm only 19 but I'm 100% sure this installer didn't know much of what he was doing. There were grounds everywhere, in places that grounds wouldn't actually function. The number of dead-ended wires was too damn high. I understand wire is wire and it all carries electrical current but I'm sure that there is a better alternative to running two ECU tap lines with 14 Gauge Speaker wire. And these things.... I hate these things. They are everywhere. I've done three of these alarm installs now and have never used on of these cheater hookups. PO used them everywhere, even in the places that would be so easy to cut, splice and shirk wrap.

Back to the ECU. I compared this photo with this link and I'm fairly certain that its and OBD1 ECU. This saves me the hassle of dealing with the Catalytic Converter CEL when I get to the exhaust, the DB has a high flow, but I want to see what the Cat-less sound is before I add one in. What are emissions??

Link:http://www.hondata.com/techecuid.html

Found something interesting that I don't know how to process yet. The clutch pedal has two wire harnesses/plugs that plug into the upper part of the pedal assembly. I found both of them unplugged and one had the two connections jumped. Like you'd do to manually read ECU trouble codes. I think it might be for a clutch bypass but again I'm not sure. Any insight from you guys? I forget who the wiring guru is on here. Maybe someone can summon him/her? I'll research it tomorrow after class and work and come back with results.

When it got dark I moved into the garage to vacuum off the carpet. Simple Job I thought.

More and more and more and more dirt keeps coming up out of the carpet. So I get the bright idea to go and bang the dirt out. I should have bought my painting mask. This thing dumped super thick clouds of dirt. Enough to allow me to do this lovely art piece.

I'm discovering the suspension on this thing is a nightmare. More than likely Ebay. The rates are waaaay too soft for how low it is. I can easily shake it around with one hand. Its on some sort of coil sleeve that has frozen up. When the PO installed them they put the sleeves on up side down for extra JDM low. so I had to flip them to make the car drivable around town. It literally scraped on everything. I get the fronts off and flip them no issues. The rear.... Thats a scary subject. I'll expand more on that tomorrow as well.

OP delivars
Anyhow, keep us posted with your build. Curious to see that engine bay.

themiller13

I created my own problem thread as well today. The link is in the 1st post. I figured since not everyone reads through these things that I might miss out on some help, and to avoid a bunch of insignificant threads I made one that will house all of my issues. Maybe it can help someone else out as well.

Got back in the car today. I finished fixing a good bit of wiring F-ups by the POs. Did some more inspection under the car to find out that my shifter play is more than like the failed bushing that is on the tranny side of the shift linkage. It was basically non-existent. I shifted a bunch of wire looms back into their OEM locations on the metal clip do-dads. Put the battery back in, started it up and let it idle for a few minutes. It threw a CEL and I'm figuring out how to deal with it (Diagnosis thread).

Got the catch can installed also. I still need a breather filter to sit on the exit side of the can but here is how it sits currently:

I'm not a fan of the clear hose but I just wanted the thing in for function. I'll worry about form later. I removed the Radiator overflow bottle's mount and drilled two holes into it for the mounting bracket. The bottle fits pretty tight into the holder now but it works. The catch can is free from running into anything and has pretty good wiggle room too for when it vibrates. When I get bored at work I'm going to mock up another Monster can - over flow that has a PVC pipe (or something of the equivalent) housing so it isn't directly ziptied to the bottle's support. The breather filter the PO had installed on the VC nipple was so saturated in oil it was scary. so I'm just tossing it and grabbing another one tomorrow after class.

Last edited:

themiller13

The car got moved up to the shop where I'll be working on it untill I get it to daily status. I decided to get it towed and not drive it with out registration and insurance. my dumb luck would leave me with some hefty fees and royally boned in other ways.

I re upped the problems thread about the ECU, ABS code and coolant lines. The ECU will not connect to a reader as I suspected. I want to drop the oil pan some time and look up into the engine to see if there's any noticeable work done, the same goes for the valve cover when I do the gaskets. It might be easiest to drop the current ecu and get a stock one, hanging on to the OBD1 jumper cable for when I do get it tuned on Hondata. Pic for anyone curious about what the ECU internals looked like. Its all Greek to me but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

IMG_2346 by themiller13, on Flickr

I'm going to the shop on Monday, I'll get the entire thing to my self for the entire day so I'm going to make good use of it 5 degree weather or no. Plans are to put it on a rack, diagnose anything that looks to be problematic, do an oil change, see if I can't fix the power steering cluster f___, and fool around with anything else that I can think of. I might have my partner in crime up there with me to help me out with everything.

I picked up the filter for the Catch can, and ordered the bushings for the shifter. So I guess the project is officially under way now that I have actually dropped some coin on it. Weee

I also created my WTB thread so sell me something.

themiller13

I had the shop to myself today. Some good bonding time between the DC and I.

I cleaned off 60% of the underside of the bay. The blown axel boot had thrown it's grease onto every surface imaginable down there. The entire car needs to be washed on the underside, it is nasty down there. My wiping rags and I could only do so much. I also got to remove some of the old A/C lines that were cluttering up the bay. PO had ziptied them in and left them hanging all about. It was quite gnarly looking.

I changed the oil today. Using the in shop filters and oil to save a little bit on the budget. I'll get my usual oil back in when the next one comes around. In my wiping I cleaned off all of the surfaces that looked responsible for a leak. After letting it idle for a while and blipping throttle these spots showed no leaks. I'm hoping the same hold when the motor get put under load.

Also today I found that the other torque mount is missing as well. (Driver's side). So that is getting added into the "to buy" list. I have no torque mounts at all in the car. So they'll be needing replacement. I've been favoring hard race every time I replace bushings so I'm going to continue on the trend. The HR bushings go for $90. I still need to find the passenger's bracket. For the driver's side this parts explosion shows the A/C compressor bracket as the mounting point. PO deleted the A/C including the bracket and managed to snap some bolts in the process. :excitement: This pushes the time frame for the mount on that side to be installed when the DB has been permanently parked because I will use that bracket. Which with my understanding of rotational forces means the opposite side mount would be pointless to install with out it's counterpart. Thanks PO I <3 you. I'll probably end up buying the mounting bolts #18 and #19 new as I'm anal with new bolts and things.

Good news is the next shop day I have will be the install of the shifter bushings and hopefully the axels. Bushings are in the mail and I can probably get the axels next day if not sooner. Knowing people always helps :)

Upon further inspection the front suspension assembly looks like it all needs to be replaced. I don't trust the ball joints upper or lower, the bearings or really any of it. And since I have the DB, I'm going to move the entire front assembly over for each side. Lord knows what kind of abuse the DC's parts have seen but I know the ebay-tier springs and dampeners aren't helping in any way. Out with the shi_ty and in the with stuff that I know hasn't been beaten on as bad. Plus this also saves me the trouble of changing a wheel stud that looks like it has seen the wrong side of the hammer. Under second thought the above sounds like more of a project for the same day that I do the Axels, that way I'm only under there once and I can save my self doing and un-doing everything twice. The temporary fix might be to re pack the boot, as it would only need to suffice for a day or two of simple driving. It's hard to do everything the right way the first time and balance my money, my time, and my mobility. I'm adding an order of events to the first post to organize myself.

Last edited:

themiller13

Made some more financial progress with the car over the past two days. I've spent upwards of three bills towards new gaskets for the Vtec solenoid, valve cover and exhaust. A bunch of seals, OEM bolts that I didn't trust used, the two lower mount brackets, the upper passenger's side t-mount, hardrace lower mounts. I'm buying new plugs, a fuel filter and axles some time this week.

I plan to get the A/C and exhaust studs that have been snapped off, removed this week while installing some of the gasketing as well. Next week will be the bushings, fuel and ignition work week. It's getting closer to dailying status and I'm stoked.

I have been reading around on EMS systems and have decided I'm going to take the NepTune route. There a local dealer now in Jacksonville and he apparently has some sweet deals from what I've been hearing through word of mouth. I was in a toss up between S300 and Neptune for a while but the more and more I read people say that each system is very close to the same setup, NepTune had the edge for ease of interface, and dollar for dollar Neptune seemed to be my better buy. I'm still a far ways away from having to make a final decision, but for now thats where I'm leaning. Any personal input would be much appreciated. The which is better threads are great but have a few years of age on them. I'd be keen to know what people are saying in the current times.

I also updated the timeline with some more stuff I thought of today that needs to get done.

themiller13

I made a 3 hour visit to the shop today. I took apart the Driver's door locking mechanism hoping to understand how it all worked and why it wasn't working. I figured out that the motor/mechanism itself was on its way out. It wouldn't fully lock or unlock under power. So I installed it all back and have added it into the WTB thread.

I started playing again with the wiring under the dash to find out that the Radio harness is a total disaster. He made all of his connections on the OEM harness instead of using a jumper harness for the install, for the icing on top he used electrian's tape to solidify all of his connections. WTF. So I started pulling all of that out and found a weird expansion onto the White/Blue 12v constant wire. it's a female spade connector that expands one wire into 3 inside the conduit piping. I'm not sure if its OEM or not, but the topic has been added into the issues thread. Pictures tomorrow as my phone died. I almost got to the point where I was going to rip out the dash to just deal with the wiring with out shimmying around the dash but stopped myself before I actually removed it. It would have been an unnecessary drain on the limited time I have.

There are officially two months remaining before I have to have this thing finished enough to daily to and from Orlando reliably. Its time to start moving.

themiller13

This is the jacked up harness.

Past 3 days have consisted of buying parts and addressing all of the half-assed wiring. I picked up two door lock modules from the junk yard for $30 which was a steal from how good of a condition they're were in. I also picked up a bunch of other miscellaneous small things from the stealer ship. Having a level 3 account with them helps keep costs down :).

Since the torque mounts aren't available individually (out of stock). I've decided to just up charge the difference and get the 5 piece set. I was going to do it eventually but it'd be better financially for me to just do it now. I talked with the master tech at the shop and we decided to just pull the engine to access the rear mount and make the broken bolts on the a/c bracket and exhaust flange easier to get to for removal. I'm probably going to try to swap the front suspension assemblies and install the new axles in the same day to save some wrenching and lift time. That's going to be a long day and probably the 2nd to last major job before I daily-convert it.
here's how she sits right now.