Thinking about going turbo, questions

mikexmayhem

im thinkin about getting a turbo. i have a 94 ls. what is a good brand turbo kit. what would i need to upgrade for my car to handle 10 to 12lbs of boost. and what things should i NOT upgrade. thanks

Last edited:

White_Rabbit

If you want to run 10-12 PSI safely you'll probably be looking at upgrading internals. I mean its always safter to do so, but you could run 8psi on a good tune. If you ran 8psi and had a good tune you'd have enough power upgrade to be fun.

To do so you and be on the safe side you'd be looking at: Injectors, fuel pump, clutch, and something to tune it with. Hmm its early i'll edit my post when I think of more lol. I'm sure plenty more will chime in. Your biggest thing is going to be a good tune.

Jayman

First get your motor checked out with a compression and leakdown test to make sure your motor is healthy enough to hold boost.

Spody02

Name: Cody
your dumb....

10-12 pounds on a gt35 compared to a t25

you never base if off of a psi goal, you want to have a power goal, you can make 300 if your motor is healthy

Dude honestly a lot of these guys are young kids that live with mommy and daddy and are just biased and opinionated there are a few people on here i'd listen to but do what i did and do research off of this forum take advice from here but be careful If you are interested in some info shoot me an e-mail bboy135@yahoo.com and good luck with the build

mikexmayhem

your dumb....

you never base if off of a psi goal, you want to have a power goal, you can make 300 if your motor is healthy
well as you can tell i dont know anything about turboing or anything like that. hense this post. you dont need to be calling me fuckin names.

i will start with a compression test like suggested. i do have an excedy stage 1 clutch. not installed by me. idk if its a good brand or anything. i also have fidanza 8lb flywheel. and gsr pistons with new rings. if that really tells you anything. so what is a good brand turbo to get me some decent power. not lookin for a billion horses. just like 250 maybe?

help from anyone but spody would be great (kidding, any help from anyone would be awesome)

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Keep it clean or the thread is getting locked. This topic has also been covered before.

White_Rabbit

your dumb....

How about explaining to him why instead of just being an ass about it? Do you yourself not really know? You probably just read it on another post and wanted to sound smart.

He is however correct. The amount of psi you run isn't the big issue. Its going to be your CFM. Which is going to differ between different sized turbos. However, PSI is a common line between all of them. Really when running low boost depending on the turbo size CFM wont very as much. Most people talk about PSI in terms of low boost because its going to be safe to say if he runs 8psi there really isn't a need for a GT35 now is there? So really CFM vs PSI is not the issue. The issue you will run into is charge temps. Because running a smaller turbo is going to create more heat due to having to work harder in order to produce the same PSI.

Basically what I'm getting at....don't try to sound smart unless you're going to finish it. CFM is irrelevant on the amount of boost he will be running. He's going to have to run a huge turbo to make enough difference to really be a concern. There fore when he asked about PSI its not a problem.

Thank you white rabbit!!! Thats what a lot of people don't realize on here is everyone of us turbo noobs is asking about low boost cause we don't have the funds or time to do a complete bottom end overhaul so we're looking at the highest amount for the safest runability and least amount of dough lol

White_Rabbit

Mod cheap mod twice. Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go? Luckily, you can build what they call a junk yard turbo setup for our cars easily. Get yourself a cheap log style manifold, a turbo off a GSX eclipse, along with the injectors, either a cheap FMIC or use the SMIC off the eclipse as well. You'll have to purchase a few other parts new but no biggie.