Thinking of changing clutch, what else should I change?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
So I need everyones educated opinion on what I should do while I have the transmission out. I will only have a total of about 6 hours so it can't be anything too time consuming. And which clutch should I get? I was thinking either the OEM Exedy KHC05 or the Exedy Stage 1 08800B. I am more concerned with it lasting for a long time than performance. So what else should I change and which clutch should I get. Thanks for the help guys! -Aaron

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Exedy is an excellent choice. They are quality pieces. As for which one to choose, that depends on your current modifications, intended modifications, and personal preference. Personally, I would go with the stage 1, even if it is a stock'ish/mild car. I find the OEM clutch a little too forgiving for my preference. I prefer something a little more aggressive, but of course there is absolutely no need to go overboard with that....and a stage 1 is still easily tolerable. Be sure to resurface the flywheel while you are in there if you are not replacing it.

jmou09

i have the exedy oem clutch had it for about 10,000 miles it grios very strong. so far no slips even at high rpms. Also with high rpm 1st gear drops. depends on your setup for which clutch you wanna go with.

also get new crank bolts

Last edited by a moderator:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
exedy stage 1 would be good. i have that and i love it. feels just like oem but with a tad bit better bite.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I dont really know what "better bite" means. Does it not let you slip it out very much? And ill probably get another flywheel and turn the one in on the car as a Core Charge. Which is more reliable as far a longevity? Stage 1 or OEM? And what else should I replace? I remember reading on another forum to put in the ES inserts for the motor on the back side or something like that as its easy to get to. Thanks for the help so far! -Aaron

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
it means the clutch will engage a bit harder than oem and it could put up with the abuse of spirited drives.

michaelz

yes there isn't much else you need to do.

if you decide to spend a more for performance i would personally want to put in a HD clutch and a lighter flywheel. not too light though or you're gonna lose too much torque.

Cman46290

throowout bearing.... pilot bearing.... rear main seal.... flywheel.... clutch disc and pressure plate.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Thought about the Rear Main but also heard that if it aint leaking, dont worry about it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
not too light though or you're gonna lose too much torque.
:smackself:

Uh, the myth still exists! You lose rotational inertia, not torque. If you actually compared a before and after on a dyno, you would see an increase in torque.