thinking of getting a 02 type s

oppi-10

yin yin
as the title says i might trade in my dc4 for a dc5, im just wondering how much they go for now this ones a 02 with 237,000 kms it has a little dent in the back and a little spot of bubbyly paint on the hood, he's asking 4,495. I thought this was pretty cheap for a type s. just wondering what your oppinions are. im going to take it for a test drive tommorow to see what its like

oppi-10

yin yin
Tranny's had lots of problems in their early years.
what kind of problems, like kicking out of gear, or completely f*cking up? im trying to figure out what i really have to look for that might be gone, i think theres somthign wrong with the vacume hose or somthing, he said the idles up and down

speedin

The Transporter
Early years, you mean ALL years. And yea they did issue a TSB, but it doesn't fix the problem, its a temp band-aid. My friend has a 06 S and the 3rd will pop out but getting locked out of 3rd on redline shifts is inevitable. That and the box in general is just prone to grind. Syncro's suck, period. From earily 02's to 06's ive gotten the pleasure (or in terms of the gearbox displeasure) of driving them.

But if you shift about 500rpm's before redline I never got locked out of a gear on a RSX-S, but then again thats the 500rpm of peak power :(. But its still faster than getting locked out of a gear :lol:.

Last edited:

DC_Five_Earl

Early years, you mean ALL years. And yea they did issue a TSB, but it doesn't fix the problem, its a temp band-aid. My friend has a 06 S and the 3rd will pop out but getting locked out of 3rd on redline shifts is inevitable. That and the box in general is just prone to grind. Syncro's suck, period. From earily 04's to 06's ive gotten the pleasure (or in terms of the gearbox displeasure) of driving them.

But if you shift about 500rpm's before redline I never got locked out of a gear on a RSX-S, but then again thats the 500rpm of peak power :(. But its still faster than getting locked out of a gear :lol:.
:werd: I still get the random 2nd gear grind and it blows :(

oppi-10

yin yin
i took the car out today, the tranny felt fine, but the clutch was really squeeky when i pushed it in and out, the cruise doesnt work, and i think theres a vacume leak, because it idles up and down.

kleenkreativ

Mine's an '04...I notice a slight grind occasionally in 2nd, but not frequently.
It also seems to pop outta gear easily (when normally shifting) – not really popping out so much, as just coming out of gear too easily without the clutch completely in.

oppi-10

yin yin
Mine's an '04...I notice a slight grind occasionally in 2nd, but not frequently.
It also seems to pop outta gear easily (when normally shifting) –*not really popping out so much, as just coming out of gear too easily without the clutch completely in.
thanks, but it sold the next day when i went back :( another dealship bought it and now there asking 9000... f#ck that noise

kleenkreativ

thanks, but it sold the next day when i went back :( another dealship bought it and now there asking 9000... f#ck that noise
That seems FAR too high to me for an '02 with that many miles. Good luck to those asshats trying to sell it!
Mine's not a Type-S (unfortunately!), but had 117k on it, almost perfect condition and it was $9k.

oppi-10

yin yin
That seems FAR too high to me for an '02 with that many miles. Good luck to those asshats trying to sell it!
Mine's not a Type-S (unfortunately!), but had 117k on it, almost perfect condition and it was $9k.
na they'll probley get it, theres not many types's around here