"Thinking" Of Supercharging My Type-R

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
Its crossed my mind for some time now. I have been "Thinking" about supercharging my Type-R. Not 100% not even 50% sure about following threw with it.

If I did go with a supercharger, I would go with a roots system (JRSC). The reason is because of instant power as well as being able to keep my Mugen intake. I mean I spent a lot of money on it and can't see myself just getting rid of it. But if that wasn't the case I would go with a Vortech.

I just can't seem to full decide what I want to go with, N/A or supercharger. I guess the big thing is the worry of my motors life. I do tend to slam on my car a bit more than some.

I'd be happy with making anywhere near 300 whp

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
It'll be hard to get up to 300whp with your B18C5 just by supercharging.

BTW, it's "Type R", not "Type-R".

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
forget about the money you spent on your intake... build your head and turbo that shit... thats the key to hp in these cars... BOOST!

speedin

The Transporter
300 on a roots really isnt going to happen, you could, but you would be an idiot to do all that work it would take. But dont get me wrong, supercharged Honda/Acura's are bliss. Its not alot of power but its so perfectly balanced. I think its a good idea. But I wouldnt go roots, id go centrifugal for a bit more power; while still maintaining the quick reaction of a supercharger.

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
I didnt say I wanted 300, I said I would be happy near 300. So anywhere between 275-300 I would be happy.

I read on Vortech that with their setup on a stock B18C5 makes 298 hp / 195 tq and I am pretty sure thats an estimate. Even then thats pretty close. I just wish Kraftwerks had a Rotrex kit for the B-Series.

Thats on a stock setup. I have a Hytech header high flow renault and soon to be exhaust, Hondata intake manifold gasket, Hondata S300, and the head was ported and polished by Port Flow.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
I didnt say I wanted 300, I said I would be happy near 300. So anywhere between 275-300 I would be happy.

I read on Vortech that with their setup on a stock B18C5 makes 298 hp / 195 tq and I am pretty sure thats an estimate. Even then thats pretty close.

Thats on a stock setup. I have a Hytech header high flow renault and soon to be exhaust, Hondata intake manifold gasket, Hondata S300, and the head was ported and polished by Port Flow.
Yea those are exaggerated usually, and there almost always CRANK hp to make the # look better. But still 275 shouldnt be a issue. And Vortech is a good set-up. Thats who id buy.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Remember, the Vortech EM1 Civic Si made 272 peak whp on a stock B16A2 with header and exhaust. But the peak numbers of a centrifugal supercharger are extremely deceiving. It made 272 at 7900 as dyno'd by SCC mag but exponentiallly less below the peak.

Think about the power delivery of that engine. The B18C5 wouldn't have a significantly different delivery
3k = 95
4k = 110
5k = 120
6k = 175
7k = 225

You could honestly get quicker spool and more power under the curve with a turbo than that. That 272whp looks nice but the car only makes that at redline for a split second. It spends 99% of the time making significantly less

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
You'd be wasting your time going with the Vortech unit. Now, most people on here will disagree with me, but I say DO IT for the JRSC.

Q:CAN you make 300whp on that unit?

A:YES, with a lot of work.

Q: Do you NEED 300whp on a roots-charged B18C5?

A: HELL NO.

JRSC claims 215 to the wheels on a stock R with only a cone filter and fuel pump upgrade. With a nice header, exhaust, high-flow cat and a tune (MAYBE cams also) You could be getting into the 240-250whp range. Do you really need any more on a Type R? Image that instant power in the twisties! That car would OWN with a decent setup and a good driver.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You don't need a lot of work to make 300 hp on the jrsc unit. Use their race pulley, and a good tune with a good exhaust will put you up in the 275whp range.

So with that said, I would go with the jrsc unit for it, the vortech is more like a turbo and even with it acting like a supercharger it still doesn't have as instant of power as a roots type. I also love the whine they make.

Last edited:

GreenTeggy

My name is Ben
id say supercharge but i really think they are for bigger motors but its your car :) i say BOOST :D and resell your mugen intake for CASHH

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
Well honestly guys does anyone really need to do anything to their cars? No we don't but we do. Why? Because 1 we like to be different 2 we crave better performance 3 its our damn cars to do what we want to it.

I mean common, if everyone out there told people "do you really need 300, 400, 500hp in that car. We wouldn't have most of the cars we have now. If anyone out there can make those big numbers in a street driven car how awesome is that? Pretty damn sick.

I think that with a roots system like (JRSC) with the cooler is the way to go. Cause yes I hear it creates a lot of heat. So if we can keep the temps down than thats the way to go.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well honestly guys does anyone really need to do anything to their cars? No we don't but we do. Why? Because 1 we like to be different 2 we crave better performance 3 its our damn cars to do what we want to it.

I mean common, if everyone out there told people "do you really need 300, 400, 500hp in that car. We wouldn't have most of the cars we have now. If anyone out there can make those big numbers in a street driven car how awesome is that? Pretty damn sick.

I think that with a roots system like (JRSC) with the cooler is the way to go. Cause yes I hear it creates a lot of heat. So if we can keep the temps down than thats the way to go.
Hey man, you asked our opinions and we gave it to you.

With a skilled driver a Type R doesn't need 300+whp to outperform cars twice the engine strength. If you think you need that power to make your car go fast, you need to re-asses your skills and improve upon them. I'm not trying to bash you or your driving, because I have no idea what kind of driver you are. I'm just basing my answers off of the information given and what I can infer.

The other thing I would like to know is, what kind of driving do you wanna set the car up for? If you want a drag car, I'll trade you my GSR+Cash so you can turbo it (JRSC is not really a great option for a drag setup). Don't spoil a Type R with a turbo/drag setup IMO :lol: