This is for the Beginner Tuners looking for INTAKES

01TegLuv

For people new and wanting to start building your car, intakes dont really make that much a difference, except for sound/tone/exhaust note, looks, and less restriction.

in the video they actually lose power with an intake and even with the filter off over factory. and even if you do gain some horsepower it'll be like 3 hp or something like that, not enough to even feel a difference. Forget 10-15 hp gains. They say you need at least a 10% gain to at least "feel" it.

an intake should be supplementary to an exhaust, headers etc and other basic upgrades. and im talking to people just starting out, just got your car, have little money, just learning about mechanics, who want to start with basic bolt ons and mods not turbocharging, stage 3 performance building, or track or full race use or none of that. I'm talking the average joe daily driver student who just wants to lightly mod his car

an intake wont make much of a difference. maybe a cold air intake that goes to the floor but still. its not one intake upgrade thatll give you a good gain but the combo/setup you go with and everything else you do as a whole. pistons/compression, valve train, gas, cams etc.

so just get what you like, what looks cool, what you can afford, what'll make your car sound good. just dont expect anything higher than 3 or 5 hp, if that. expect the same even a minor power loss.

but do expect to hear it sound awesome :D

oh and here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
They put a generic intake tube on a turbo Skyline and didn't see a gain. Hmm... no surprise there!

First do all your vehicle maintenance, ie ignition timing and valve adjustment. Drive it for a while until you develop a new baseline of how your car is running. Then get yourself a properly R&D'd intake and reset the ECU after install. You'll feel the difference.

Nothing beats dyno results but most people aren't going to spend that before and after an intake. They generally run $75 - 100.

On the other hand if you own a late model sports car, or your car is turbocharged, then there are better ways to spend your money.

I absolutely agree that "supporting mods" when done together make a much larger difference, but it goes against overwhelming evidence to say that aftermarket air intakes don't increase power output.

A poorly designed intake may shift your powerband up past the rev limit, but that goes back to what I said about buying a brand that does R&D.

Best advice is to have a plan from the start. Pretty stupid to get yourself an intake and a header, then decide you want to swap the motor or go turbo.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
mighty car mods is a parody car tech channel on youtube, dont use them for the basis of any factual evidence against cold air intakes LOL

enoch723

For people new and wanting to start building your car, intakes dont really make that much a difference, except for sound/tone/exhaust note, looks, and less restriction.

in the video they actually lose power with an intake and even with the filter off over factory. and even if you do gain some horsepower it'll be like 3 hp or something like that, not enough to even feel a difference. Forget 10-15 hp gains. They say you need at least a 10% gain to at least "feel" it.

an intake should be supplementary to an exhaust, headers etc and other basic upgrades. and im talking to people just starting out, just got your car, have little money, just learning about mechanics, who want to start with basic bolt ons and mods not turbocharging, stage 3 performance building, or track or full race use or none of that. I'm talking the average joe daily driver student who just wants to lightly mod his car

an intake wont make much of a difference. maybe a cold air intake that goes to the floor but still. its not one intake upgrade thatll give you a good gain but the combo/setup you go with and everything else you do as a whole. pistons/compression, valve train, gas, cams etc.

so just get what you like, what looks cool, what you can afford, what'll make your car sound good. just dont expect anything higher than 3 or 5 hp, if that. expect the same even a minor power loss.

but do expect to hear it sound awesome :D

oh and here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
A lot of people are going to say its fake and stuff and complain. They have two videos proving stock car with cheap and expensive cold air intakes and even on a turbo set up. They basically just show that having a cold air intake you will lose the actual compression of the air being taken in. just cause there is more air doesnt mean more hp. The ecu can only compensate so much fuel.

Now in a TRUE turbo setup where you need a bigger fuel pump and an actual tuning, you probably should have a cold air intake. That truely would be the test to show once in for all if they add horsepower. They need to find a turbo set up that is tuned correctly and dyno stock intake and cold air intake.

In truth for people to understand, You wont gain horsepower with a cold air intake. people say it "frees up horsepower" which in my mind makes sense but again, no actual test have been done to prove or disprove this statement.

mighty car mods is a parody car tech channel on youtube, dont use them for the basis of any factual evidence against cold air intakes LOL
I dont see how they are a parody.. Not saying they are a "respectable source" but they arent a parody

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
He got the general idea down for noobs on intakes but using a video with a turbo application was a mistake.

'Freeing up hp' is more accurate for the majority of mods technically but saying it gains results in the same thing. I prefer free up but it's simpler to stick with the norm in conversation.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
I dont see how they are a parody.. Not saying they are a "respectable source" but they arent a parody
Because...they are a parody channel. Show me one mod they have done that is considered a professional mod in your eyes. Im sure the 180sx they just "built" is probably "off the chains" in your opinion but its a joke, not a serious build. Sticking on ebay fender flares and adding a wing to the back doesnt make a nissan drift better.

94RS

No fucks given.
Because...they are a parody channel. Show me one mod they have done that is considered a professional mod in your eyes. Im sure the 180sx they just "built" is probably "off the chains" in your opinion but its a joke, not a serious build. Sticking on ebay fender flares and adding a wing to the back doesnt make a nissan drift better.
Agreed. When they started out, they had some decent videos like how to roll fenders or installing a killswitch. I used their carpet cleaning tutorial and the method they showed in the video worked wonders on my car's carpet/seats.

But within the past two/three years they've turned to total garbage. Purposely ricing out a Civic hatch for the sake of comedy.... Kinda sad.

enoch723

Putting an aftermarket air filter on the end of the original air intake is not a cold air intake.
Agreed in a sense. Really what makes it a "cold air intake" is moving out of the engine bay. The ones that are just replacing the stock plastic tube with a metal tube that essentially has the pod filter in exactly the same spot, is one of the dumbest excuses for a cold air intake ive ever seen. Lol

Like I said before. To me, for it to make actual gains, you will probably need to have just a bigger air intake and an open ecu that will allow bigger ratios of fuel and air mix. Even if you put a "cold air intake" or just a bigger intake and you gained 5-10 hp. You wouldnt even be able to feel the difference. Everyone says they can but your just looking for the gain

Blue95gsr

That car you smoked!
Because HORSEPOWER!!!!!

I saw the vid and chuckled a bit. I agree that you have to do some playing with your ECU (if you have Hondata). But correct me if I am wrong, which I tend to be, that if you run an h/i/e then your a/f ratio is jacked too much. But start adding a intake mani with the other aforementioned items and then your a/f ratio starts to change.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
The stock ECU and injectors can only compensate for about a 10% difference in fueling under normal closed loop conditions, WOT which is open loop is straight table fueling, so if you havent increased your fuel pressure to allow for whatever adjustment needed to be made from horsepower gains, regardless of the mod, intake, header or exhaust, you wont see gains at all, or very minimal. Even an intake, depending how much is gained, needs some minor adjustments.

01TegLuv

i dont think they're parody.. just saying. and screw me sideways if im wrong but you can either put in a cold air intake OR go turbo... and since this thread was about beginners and intakes i dont know where you come out with turbo setups... i mean i even mentioned this isn't about going turbo. with a turbo you dont really have a traditional intake in a way... you have intercooler piping that runs from the intercooler all the way to your intake mani... so if you look at it like that, it would be one long curvy intake with bends and that intercooler a massive filter, but different from a shorter intake pipe with an open filter

and generic or not, does not matter one bit. brands dont matter. not even the material of the intake pipe matters. all the matters is the volume, shape, bends, elbows, pipe diameter and filter and where is the filter in the engine bay... not generic or brands or none of that, i have an AEM intake and it doesnt give me much power either. but it sure as hell looks and sounds cool....

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
I dont understand, is this some sort of rant? I didn't expect to fly when i put my aem on.

Wanna talk about wasting money, start a tread about aftermatket lca's. Lol

XjoEnX

LCA's are a waste of money? Damn, so the fact that they allow users to change sway bar settings for track and autocross is just for show? And here I thought they served a purpose.