Thoughts on Carbon Fiber?

SnD3

I was thinking about getting a carbon fiber hood, and trunk lid. Only reason for it, would be to reduce weight in the car. Is there an advantage, and what are your personal thoughts on the subject? I was also looking at carbon fenders for the front... I have also seen carbon doors recently, but cannot find them again! lol This is going to be a multi-use car. It will be for DD, and auto-x. Thanks!

JGvtec

Be ready to drop some serious cash on that. CB fenders i hear are hella expensive. If you want to reduce weight take things out of the inside of the car that you don't use. ( back seat, spare tire anything in the trunk basically) If your going to auto x i dont think the whole carbon fiber trunk and hood are a great deal of weight loss.

I would just take out things that you don't use that add more weight.

Thats just me. Other's can do what they want.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
I couldn't justify swapping over that stuff for carbon fiber. The cost isn't worth the gains in my opinion. Unless your going all out weight reduction, I wouldn't do it. I see people buying CF hoods just to be cool, not because it's a huge performance gain.

Think about the weight you lose removing that stuff. It would be LESS then having a passenger with you, do you notice any performance loss when someone is in your passenger seat?

Cripton805

Just do hood and hatch. And interior paneling, rear seats, and carpet. Stiffen your car with strut bars, lower tie bar, etc... get a good ass suspension.

rockadilla

thats right.
it really wont make ANY difference unless ur car is already basically stripped clean, and even then its really not gonna make a noticable difference. if u like the look then go for it but dont expect to run any faster

JGvtec

it really wont make ANY difference unless ur car is already basically stripped clean, and even then its really not gonna make a noticable difference. if u like the look then go for it but dont expect to run any faster
This.

Its not how much hp or how much your car weighs. Its the driver who has the skill.

lovelace

wood flooring!!!
i would get the hood since the hood weighs alot, interior panel's and back seats dont do shit thats like 10 pounds but if your worried about weight take out your passenger seat cuz not only will you lose about 30 pounds you can also add the 180 pounds you will lose from not having anyone in the car hahaha .. and idk about the hatch cuz the only thing that weighs alot on a hatch is the glass so it wouldnt be worth it unless your goin for looks

j13

Keep It Clean
CF is good if you're wanting more speed/better handling(better power to weight/less wait getting thrown around) i say go for the hatch and hood. don't get anything with scoops and ricey though haha. if i were to get some CF parts, i would pay the little extra cash to have them painted to match the body

loose the sunroof
Yep! they make a CF moon roof plug cheap.

Prozon

Kris
You would have to remove a lot of weight to get a noticeable difference. I mean A LOT. Stripped interior, lighter panels.. no interior shit. Missing seats ect.

Changing the hood is like 10-15 pounds max you would lose. It's not going to make a big difference. If you want to run auto-x faster, learn to drive and get a better suspension.

SilverSophie

ya... x2 CF pieces dont really save that much. unless your doing every panel like the doors, fenders, etc.... and trust me its gonna cost you a sh*t load.

the hood and truck will probably run you about $1100.... You can get a good suspension setup with that kind of money. basically dont waste your money on that unless your doign some serious serious weight reduction. and this is your dd too, you want SOME luxury to it still i imagine