Thoughts on engine swaps?

SnD3

I was originally looking for a b16, or b17 swap for my integra, but both have eluded me, with great intensity. What is your opinion on the b20b, or another engine swap, worth while? I am not looking for crazy power, but a little more than I have stock, on the b18a1... I am on a low budget, so the whole swap would have to cost me around $1000 USDM. Thanks!

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
i wouldn't go b20 unless you want to deal with a vtec head swap

gsr swap (b18c1) would be best imo

WAR 178

Premium User
well there are many options to go with. I would say tho to not do a B16 set up. yes its more power than a b18a/b but its meant for a civic body in my eyes. The teggy body is heavier. I know for $1000 you can buy a vtec head and have a GOOD mech do the lsv setup and tune. And NO I DONT always say to go lsv route(as some may seem to think) but when money is tight but you want more power, I feel this is a quick and fairly affordable upgrade as opposed to a full swap. The B20b is just like having an Ls bored out to 2.0 g/lw choice

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its $1000USD not USDM.

A GSR swap will cost you roughly a little more than that if you find it with a tranny and do a cable to hydro. A B20 will cost about $400 and then you can use the rest of the money for a cable b16 tranny

SnD3

I would really like to stay away from anything Vtec swapped... Mostly because it isn't viable in my area, to pay a mechanic to do it... Most of them are highly incompetent... lol Not only that, they charge more than that, just to do the swap, and still there is no chance that it's going to work, fully... lol I really would like to just swap the engine in, and tranny if needed, and be on my merry way.

The more work it takes, the more I am leaning back towards rebuilding my crappy b18... Sure I can turbo it, but I don't want to go through all that hassle, and time, just to get the car going again... I know that no matter which route I do go, the more time and effort it is going to take... But I just want to drive this car, again! I miss it, and would love to have it on the street... I am so frustrated with having to machine the block, re-hone is, and all that jazz! lol My block is good, otherwise! You know what I mean?

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
You could add a little pep to your B18A then mate it to a b16 tranny. I've heard its quite beneficial because of the shorter gearing. More acceleration ftw...

SnD3

all b series swaps are the same, for a vtec swap you run two wires from the solenoid to the ecu
Can you explain that further? I would really like to be able to go to OBD1, or OBD2, so that I can diagnose anything wrong with the engine, easier than the current OBD 0. lol This would be something that would ease me, as a shade tree mechanic... I almost don't feel mechanically inclined to do any harder swaps... If I was better off with my current engine, it would not even be an issue....

I am so damn confused on what to do... really, I mean there are so many opinions on what to do... B20b seems like the best bet, as I have seen that swap praised a few times... I assume it is just a direct swap, with some different motor mounts, a b16 tranny, and wiring harness/ecu?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
ALL b series motor swaps are the same except the B20 prelude motor. You can usually find motors with harnesses on them. you just have to look

SnD3

ALL b series motor swaps are the same except the B20 prelude motor. You can usually find motors with harnesses on them. you just have to look
Good info. I appreciate your help samurai! And by the same, you mean they can all use the same wiring harnesses and ECU, or what do you mean?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Good info. I appreciate your help samurai! And by the same, you mean they can all use the same wiring harnesses and ECU, or what do you mean?
yes. you can run any engine harness on any motor, but you need a matching ecu to the harness

SnD3

Wasn't planning on chipping the ecu anyhow... I see no point, just wanted a bit more pep from the motor... I mean, sure, it gives you a few more hp... And a bit more torque, but not really worth it, in the long run... Not as much as they cost! lol