Thoughts on SR20 in a Prelude

So a buddy of mine approached me tonight about helping him do a crazy swap. He wants to throw a built SR20 he has into a Prelude.
I'm thinking we'll need custom mounts, custom axles from DSS, custom trans mounting plate and some kind of adapter to mate the SR crank to the Honda trans input shaft. An AEM stand alone ECU and an wideband.
He wants to make it AWD somehow...anyone have a trans in mind?
Any thought on how to make it work?

By the way, if you're going to say, "Just don't do it" don't waste your time. I tried to tell him just to save his money and drop built H22 in it, but he's stuck on this Nissan motor swap. I'm also looking forward to seeing if we can make it work.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
hmm this is a good idea, i always thought the Prelude should have been a FR.

I have a few ideas:
1, why not opt for the f20C? Keep it honda to honda
2. what diff are you going to use? I bet bolting a nissan thing will suck, see if the crv rear diff for the awd version fits
3. if not you need to redo the suspension geometry,

some things to ponder

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
Why bother with a Prelude? Buy a Miata. Put SR20 in that.

Or if you're wasting time/money with an SR20/RWD swap, do it like a BAWS and LS1 swap it.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Why bother with a Prelude? Buy a Miata. Put SR20 in that.

Or if you're wasting time/money with an SR20/RWD swap, do it like a BAWS and LS1 swap it.
LS1 is for pussies, it's all about that LS9.

It would be similar to that AWD Integra build. Except that was a mid engine AWD set up. The CRV option is best.

Ok, here's the thing. I'm asking for thoughts on HOW TO MAKE IT WORK. This is not my project, so stop trying to give me other motor options. I am just trying to help him make it run, it was his decision on what motor he wants. I tried to tell him to just build the piss out of an H22 and boost it to hell...but this is the swap he wants to do.

Do you think something like the H2B plate could be made to mate the SR to the CRV trans?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
this will be awesome, it would be better in a teg though.

if you going to be fabing up stuff id use a better awd tranny than the CRV tranny

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The AWD transmission question is a no-brainer, use a Nissan tranny. You would definitely want to start with an SR20 that is already equipped for AWD. They were available in a transverse configuration and AWD tranny in select model of the Nissan Bluebird and the Pulsar GTi-R. I'm sure that would make it much easier. Since you will already need all custom mounts you could just make them work for the Nissan gearbox and skip trying to adapt to a Honda box.

They can also be found in the Avenir, R'nessa and Liberty, but the SR20DET AWD equipped models were 4 speed automatic only.

Last edited:

nicoalex2

The AWD transmission question is a no-brainer, use a Nissan tranny. You would definitely want to start with an SR20 that is already equipped for AWD. They were available in a transverse configuration and AWD tranny in select model of the Nissan Bluebird and the Pulsar GTi-R. I'm sure that would make it much easier. Since you will already need all custom mounts you could just make them work for the Nissan gearbox and skip trying to adapt to a Honda box.

They can also be found in the Avenir, R'nessa and Liberty, but the SR20DET AWD equipped models were 4 speed automatic only.

Now that is some good info.
You should start the build thread on here and keep us updated

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
lol waste so much money converting a car to RWD drive thats going to end up driving like SHIT, instead of buying an S2000, Honda did all the work for you already

nicoalex2

lol waste so much money converting a car to RWD drive thats going to end up driving like SHIT, instead of buying an S2000, Honda did all the work for you already
Nothing wrong with doing a project like that. In my eyes if you can do it then that's all that matters.
"Dare to be Different"