Three cylinders are misfiring; electrical issue.

AmandaGSR83

My check engine light came on and it was throwing a third cylinder misfire code. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. I also checked the valve cover gasket and it was fine. I took it to a mechanic and they said all but one cylinders (cylinder 2) were misfiring and it was due to an electrical issue. For whatever reason this mechanic doesn't work on electrical issues. What could it be? I am taking it to another mechanic on Monday, but I'd like to know what I am in store for.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
He's not a real mechanic then.

I would check your icm/ ignition coil

Also check your spark plugs for correct gap and signs of wear

Another thing to check is your plug wires that go over the spark plugs, if they are torn they can cause arcs of electricity to shoot out towards the head spark plug bores. Causing misfires.

zack11122

Everything in a car is more or less linked to electrical.. how can he not do electrical...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

AmandaGSR83

My thoughts exactly. A mechanic that is limited in what he is capable of doing. Taking it to a better one on Monday.

AmandaGSR83

He's not a real mechanic then.

I would check your icm/ ignition coil

Also check your spark plugs for correct gap and signs of wear

Another thing to check is your plug wires that go over the spark plugs, if they are torn they can cause arcs of electricity to shoot out towards the head spark plug bores. Causing misfires.
If you re-read the post, I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires after the fact. He checked my work and I did it right. As far as the icm/ignition coil, I dont know how to check that. I am not an car buff, just someone who has some common sense. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the feedback.

graveyardhippie

ICM, definite possibility. Maybe fuel also? Is the filter fairly new?

Sent from my Famicom

AmandaGSR83

I haven't been given many details just yet, but it turns out that I need a new engine. I guess it wasn't electrical?