throttle body spacer gains??

mikexmayhem

so i have heard from friends and read online a little that a throttle body spacer is a pretty decent mod. i also heard that it doesn't do much performance wise on smaller cars like integras. and i also heard that it can add a "whistle" to your intake. my intake doesnt whistle and im bummed lol. does a throttle body spacer do anything for performance? does it make a whistle? thanks

acclude

cheap bastard
It really shouldn't add a whistle sound if yours doesn't already make the sound.

As for performance, it is supposed to help keep TB/IM temps down making the intake air charge temp lower. HOWEVER, if you still have the coolant lines running to the TB, you really won't help keep the temps down. The best way to do it to actually see some gains is to use a thermal IM gasket, a thermal TB gasket, AND do not run the coolant lines to your TB. That's how mine is setup and my IAT is usually around 100-108 deg after the car has been running a while and the engine bay gets hot. Normally the IAT would be much higher like in the 120-150 deg range.

acclude

cheap bastard
yeah, the filter and the type of intake period usually attribute to that. Don't know about filters but I've read the injen intakes make a whistling sound.

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
I believe its about the piping...even ebay intakes whistle....mine does but im trying to make it stock once again.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
this makes me think how much trouble the automakers try to make our cars quiet and we go in there and rip it all out and want noise. lol

heykosal

Angkorian
is there a way to make my intake whistle? or is that all about the type of filter
gay.

yeah i have an ebay intake with k&n filter. mine doesnt whistle :(
That's what I had on my LS, an SRI and mine didn't whistle neither. which i liked. but my v2 on my GSR whistled and i hated it.

this makes me think how much trouble the automakers try to make our cars quiet and we go in there and rip it all out and want noise. lol
its not about the noise its about the increased horsepower the sweet sound of an uncorked honda 4-cylinder is just an added bonus:D

acclude

cheap bastard
Mine doesn't whistle per-se....it kinda hums. I've got a generic intake assembled from different pieces of pipe (I think Spectre or something like that makes the pipe pieces and you can get them at most auto parts stores). It's 2.5" or 2.75" piping. Pretty big for an intake. Not sure if that alone is what is making it hum or if it's the rest of the intake system. I've got a Holley 68mm TB, a port matched GSR IM that's all been super-ported (yes I just made that up but that's pretty much what it is ;)) with the IAB's removed and alll 8 internal ports opened up and polished, thermal IM and TB gaskets, and massive head port and polish. I don't know how the intake would sound on a pretty much stock motor with stock intake mani parts, but it might be worth looking into that generic Spectre or whatever intake cause it's relatively cheap and you can find them anywhere and they are designed to work with just about any car.....a picture: