Ticking noise. Help would b nice.

jdean41

Ok i have a 92 teg. Stock b18a1, with just bolt on mods. I recently adjusted the valves, and have checked anything and everything that causes a tick. When you take off at about 3k to 4500 in first and very little in second it makes a ticking noise. Its not effecting the way it drives or anything, its just annoying. I changed the oil recently and changed with 10w 30, and the ticking noise got a little bit more subtle. I need to know if maybe going to a little thicker oil would help it out.

jdean41

No only through certain rpm in 1st and second, after that im up out of the rpm range. and its definitely not a rod knock i know exactly what that sounds like. Its not on the bottom end. It almost seems to be external but i cant pinpoint its location.

obrienintegra18

its probably still the the valves they are always going to make noise no matter what as long as the engine runs good dont worry about it . ps the guy talking about the rod knock does not know hondas

DAmonzt3r

db1 is love
its probably still the the valves they are always going to make noise no matter what as long as the engine runs good dont worry about it . ps the guy talking about the rod knock does not know hondas
what do u mean he dont know about hondas ppl help each other here :slap:

jdean41

I dont think its the valves, i can hear the valves a little but not much. Its not like a valve tick now that ive listened to it alot more. I think its either my idler puller or water pump, because thats where the sound appears to be coming from, in that general area.

JDMb20DC2

I dont think its the valves, i can hear the valves a little but not much. Its not like a valve tick now that ive listened to it alot more. I think its either my idler puller or water pump, because thats where the sound appears to be coming from, in that general area.
If it was your valves they would have stopped ticking if you adjusted them right.

jdean41

u have to think that the motor is almost 20 years old, your going to be able to hear at least a bit. I can faintly hear them if i have the hood up, but not while im going down the road. My uncle(an ase master technician) helped me out so i know they are done right.

JDMb20DC2

u have to think that the motor is almost 20 years old, your going to be able to hear at least a bit. I can faintly hear them if i have the hood up, but not while im going down the road. My uncle(an ase master technician) helped me out so i know they are done right.
i dont know why they would tick regardless of how old, but i know when adjusted they are not supposed to "tick" . So if they are ticking something is wrong.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
age is nothing but a number. it depends on how the engine was maintained. i have roughly over 270k on my original motor and it runs smooth. only problem is a little oil burning at the top end.

this ticking sound could be your timing belt getting old. where the slack is, it may be hitting the dust/cover shield. thats my guess since you said it was around that area. if it was more towards the valve cover and you said your uncle is a master mechanic that has done your valves, it could just be the injector noise you're hearing. and that is normal.

jdean41

I can faintly hear a little bit from the valves, but i have to have the hood up with my head right about the motor, literally. And yeah, im probably going to replace my timing belt this weekend and c if that does anything. It does look relatively aged.