tie rod ball joint grabber tool?

BlueMistDA

does anyone know what this tool is called, its claw type tool that holds the tie rod ball joint from spinning
or if anyone has a url to the tool
my outer tie rod end on the passenger side is loose, but when i tried to tighten it, the nut twisted with the ball joint so i couldnt tighten it.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
are you talking about the part that connects it to the knuckle?

There isn't a tool that I know of... you just have to press down on the tierod to get it to seat in the hole.

I've never heard of a tool that keeps it from spinning.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Nope. Not yet :lol:

There is a tool that holds the ball joint from spinning and makes it alot easier if they are being a PITA. I just sent him a pic of what it looks like

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
There is a tool that has a tiny claw that holds the ball joint and has a 3/8 drive on the end of a threaded rod. You just put the proper socket on the end of the threaded rod and the other end accepts a 3/8 drive ratchet and the claw slightly pinches the ball joint. The end are made of pretty soft metal with a teflon coat so they don't scuff the ball. That is what we used to put pesky ball joints on that were being a PITA at the shop I worked at. They usually don't spin though. But every now and then a perfectly good ball joint would try to make a move. After tightening it mildly with that tool it will be solid enough to torque without moving

It looks like a puny ass pulley puller with slightly different geometry