Time to change timing belt?

Aik68j

Expirence = Mistakes Made
Timing Belt

I jsut rolled over 100,000 miles on my 98 teg LS. I changed the plugs and wires. Should I change out the timing belt as well . The last car I had that had this many miles was a 76 Volare Wagon (first car) and I hoped it would blow up and it did cracked the block.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
Yeah man change out the belt which reminds me i need to change mine too ! does anybody know how much it would cost ?

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
it costs about $700 at a shop parts and labor

but just check your local tuner forums ... chances are there is someone who knows how to do it who needs extra cash

my friend bought the parts and got this kid to change the clutch and tbelt on his 95 civic for $200 labor so i think he paid like $500 total and that was with a nice ass clutch.

99teg LS

why dont you all just DIY? i did mine when i hit the 100,000 mark.. had no clue what i was doing.. but i do now! :) get a haynes manual or anything similar. and just follow step by step.. the hardest part really is putting the belt back on.. **HINT** if you take two wrenches to the center bolt on the cam gears you can depress the valves while lining up the timing marks correctly.. cost me around 100 bux to do it myself.. timing belt, tensioner, alternator belt, a/c belt, power steering belt, waterpump, and valve cover gasket

Last edited:

PogKai

B20VTEC
Melt said:
it costs about $700 at a shop parts and labor

but just check your local tuner forums ... chances are there is someone who knows how to do it who needs extra cash

my friend bought the parts and got this kid to change the clutch and tbelt on his 95 civic for $200 labor so i think he paid like $500 total and that was with a nice ass clutch.
damn! that much over there? in here it cost $400 something at the dealership! parts and labor!

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
$700 to change a fucking belt ! how much is the belt at like autozone or pepboys i can do that shit myself.

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
ha ha, im gonna change my own. im gonna buy the belt for like 35 bucks from honda and do it on a saturday. from what i hear is that its not that hard.

99teg LS

8urcivic said:
ha ha, im gonna change my own. im gonna buy the belt for like 35 bucks from honda and do it on a saturday. from what i hear is that its not that hard.
not really.. just make sure the timing marks on the cams are straight when the #1 cylinder is at TDC and your golden.. you do hafta take the motor mount off on that side and support the engine with a floor jack, but its really not too hard..

99teg LS

dont forget a waterpump and timing belt tensioner. plus you might as well replace all the other belts while your at it.. PS AC and ALT.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
i thought that the timing belt and water pump should be changed at 80-90k intervals? when'd you get your teg? brand new?