Timing Belt and Dust cover

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
I recently just changed the clutch in my Integra LS. While I did this I also replaced my valve cover gasket.

While I was messing around in the engine, I noticed that the upper portion of the timing belt dust cover was digging into the Timing belt. I guess this has happened due to age that the dust cover has become warped. I cut away as much of the dust cover as I could to make sure it wasn't hitting the camshaft timing gears.

I also noticed that while the engine is running, the timing belt has some play. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but when I think of the timing belt on a car I imagine it as a tight belt that is wrapped on top of gears.

Is this normal? Or should I replace the timing belt?

*side note

When or if I replace this timing belt, should I entirely remove the dust cover, expose the belt and gears and cut off the portion of the valve cover that is over top the timing belt? I have seen racers do this, and I am wondering if this is the route I should venture.

I don't recommend going without timing covers, especially if this is your daily driver. Are the covers warped or did the rubber seals get swollen due to an oil leak and push the covers?
There should be some slack on the belt on the front side of the motor. If there is slack on the tensioner side there may be a problem.
Timing belts should be replaced every 7 years or around 100k miles.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
They are warped. the cover has gone from being black to a browish color. My grandfather (who was on hand helping me with the car) later said that he didn't see a presence where oil was leaking at any time from the cam seals.

I will check that again.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
Thank you for the information about the timing belt. I don't believe it has slack on the rear side of it. I believe that was pretty tight.

Not a problem. I'd go ahead and replace the covers and their seals. Do you know when the timing belt and water pump were last done?

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
No I don't. But the timing belt doesn't have much play at all accept a little in the front. It looks brand new (even has the honda seal on it). I also don't know when or if the water pump was ever replaced. I am the 3rd person to own this car.

Another problem I'm having that MIGHT be related to the timing belt is this:
I've noticed a grinding noise coming from my engine bay when I accelerate. When my car is idling in neutral it slightly makes it, but the noise goes up and increases in speed as you accelerate.

I was under the hood today, looking at the timing belt and such, the car was running and I listened to the engine as I pulled the Idle Tensioner to make it rev. I noted that the noise was coming from atop the engine, around the top gears of the timing belt and MIGHT be coming from around the cam shafts.

The noise sounds like it is metal on metal, maybe even a chain like noise.It slightly grinds and as I said gets louder with higher acceleration.

2kdb7

Look up valve adjustment. And check your oil level. As for the dust shield I had my top half off and never had a issue

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
I'd listen to what Talon is saying...

ALso it can't hurt to replace the water pump while you are messing with the timing belt... aside from the known issues with te distributors on these cars a close second as far as problematic accessories would be the water pump... or IACV...