Timing belt failure mileage. LET SEE EM!

96Marine

At what mileage did your timing belt fail? I currently have 150k and I'm doing a timing belt change b/c I'm not sure if the original owner did it.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I bought my car at 87K in 2000, I have no idea if the timing belt was ever changed, but mine broke at 130K in 2003.
I got so lucky, it didn't damage the engine. I was doubly lucky actually, because 5 months earlier, the miles between 122K and 127K were spent driving to Arizona and back from New Hampshire!

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
well i changed mine about 112xxx on my 99 gs and it was missing teeth and was split down the middle halfway around the belt

i got super lucky it didnt snap

Integra95SE

Im in a similar situation. I currently have just about a hundred and a lil miles till 180k. Previous owner said he did the timing belt. money is tight. is it gonna kill the car if its say 2k miles past the 180 mark or could the belt snap?

mirrorimg

Im in a similar situation. I currently have just about a hundred and a lil miles till 180k. Previous owner said he did the timing belt. money is tight. is it gonna kill the car if its say 2k miles past the 180 mark or could the belt snap?
You're risking the life of the motor the longer you wait. Some people get lucky, some people dont.

Oh. My. God!
Pretty sure Blake has pictures of it.

96Marine

Money is tight with me too so I bought the 80 gates timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, water pump w/gasket) at rockauto.com + 5% coupon code found on google:lol:. I wanted to get the gates racing timing belt here for 90 bucks but that left little room for the water pump and tensioner. I plan on tackling the change this weekend (if the kit arives in time) better to spend 100 bucks than 500+ on a used engine. Plus I don't think I can install and engine myself :oops:

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
theres no need to replace the tensioner.. and unless its over heating you don't need a water pump..

72Spitfire

I'm not into valves kissing pistons so mine gets changed every 90K whether the belt looks bad or not. Water pump always changed at the same time. Saves you money in the long run.

mirrorimg

theres no need to replace the tensioner.. and unless its over heating you don't need a water pump..
NO WAY!

You should ALWAYS replace those two items when doing a timing belt service. These items FAIL after being on the car for so long, just like the timing belt. The waterpump could seize up, or spring a leak. The tensioner can fall apart and not hold proper tension on the belt. Thats like saying "don't resurface the flywheel when you have it out of the car."

P.S. You should also get the tensioner spring from the dealer. I know my timing belt kit (same one as you) didnt come with one.

96Marine

NO WAY!

P.S. You should also get the tensioner spring from the dealer. I know my timing belt kit (same one as you) didnt come with one.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Hopefully since its a dealership part it won't cost $$$. We'll see. Should I also get cam seals or any other seals while i'm in there?

azspd02

I bought my teg 4 months ago at 115k and stripped teeth and jumped timing 2 weeks ago at 129k made the mistake of assuming the previous owner had take care of it and now I'm lookin at shelling out a g to replace the motor..