timing belt problems

addicted2boost

Ok so i atempted the the timing belt on my 90 integra. I cant get the top two gears to line up. The timing is too loose if the gears are line up but if i want the belt tight its off a tooth.

dopematic

Make sure the crank pulley is at TDC (white line) and line up cam gears.. the gashes on the sides and middle of cam gears are all horizontal with the surface of the head. Try to hold it in place as possible. When I attempt to put back on the timing belt, I always hook on the exhaust cam side first.... other people may have different methods but this works for me ...and then intake side cam on..

once you got timing belt back on. .. check if its at TDC and recheck again.

after, rotate the crank pulley counter clockwise ONLY... about 5 revolutions... then loosen the tensioner bolt a corner turn...then rotate crank pulley three teeths over.. then retighten tensioner bolt to 40 lbs/torque.

check for TDC again and then recheck..

the belt should have more tension on it now.. if not, try again.

addicted2boost

Ok thanks .. Im not sure if it is off a tooth now. Cause the first time i started it after install the belt it ran a little rought but it was runing rough befor.. but now today it barely idles. Sometimes it even dies but if i let it idle for 5 mins or so it will run better. I personally dont think its the timing belt.

addicted2boost

I dont know if u can see it or not. But its out about half a tooth. The crank shaft is lined up perfect. I cant get it any better than this

dopematic

Yeah picture isn't working.

From what you described it doesn't sound like it is a timing belt problem and even if it was off a teeth it would still run. Anything else you have done while changing out the timing belt?

Any check engine lights? Check the spark plug firing order. Check for any loose sensors.

addicted2boost

Okay so i took the belt off again and it was a tooth off. Now i cant get the belt tight. Its way to slack. The car is a fuckin nightmare to work on. It took an hour to do the timing belt on my volvo. Im ready just to scrap the car.

djv1986

once you install the belt to where you think u have it lined up correctly.. rotate the crank by HAND or with a ratchet 4 revolutions and check your timing marks again.. that why you only put the car together once.

dopematic

^^ Like they said.. after you got the timing belt lined up at TDC. Tighten up tensioner. Rotate crank pulley 5 revolutions COUNTER CLOCKWISE ONLY... If by any chance you rotated just a tad bit clockwise, start over and rotate counter clockwise 5 revolutions again. After rotating, line back up to TDC, then loosen tensioner bolt a quarter turn, then rotate belt 3 teeths over and then tighten tensioner bolt to 40lbs. Recheck to see if belt is lined up. That should give even and good tension throughout the timing belt.