Timing Belt Replacement

ISMELLBACON!

ISmellBacon!
Hey, so here's the deal. I'm at about 103,000 miles on my 2000 GSR and I'm thinking of replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, gasket and seals. The only catch is I'm thinking of getting it done for me by National Tire and Battery. They quoted me at about $700. Is this a good deal? also, is there anything i can delay to save some cash, or does it make sense to do everything at once? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
that price is about right for everything. if the water pump and tensioners are ok, you can reuse them. it would just suck to have to tear it back apart after 6 months to replace a leaky waterpump. i think you due at 110k miles so you have some time yet.

ISMELLBACON!

ISmellBacon!
that price is about right for everything. if the water pump and tensioners are ok, you can reuse them. it would just suck to have to tear it back apart after 6 months to replace a leaky waterpump. i think you due at 110k miles so you have some time yet.
Thanks Jim and Cheesenip, I would, but I'm not comfortable with taking apart my engine just yet lol

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
really..go get a manual. If you can read and are 1/2 way mechanically (sp?) inclined, you can do it.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
where do you live? ill come help

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
I got the manual for sale, PM if interested. It's simple man, the hardest part of it all is re-timing, but if you got the proper tools do it, if not, don't bother and pay the money.

ISMELLBACON!

ISmellBacon!
i live in NC and thanks for the input everybody. I'm probably going to have it done for me. I'm only 16 and this is my daily driver to school so I really need it done quick, I just needed to make sure I knew what I needed to get done.