Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement...replace crankshaft pulley?

Dr Grant

I'm going to be replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2000 integra ls. I'm already buying:

Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner Spring
Timing Belt Tensioner
Water Pump
VC gasket
Alternator Belt
A/C Belt
Sparkplug Seals
Cam Plug

I'm wondering if it's necessary/worth it to replace the crankshaft pulley, pulley bolt, and pulley key as it's another 200+ for those 3 parts

I'm at 98,8xx miles, most likely it will be within the next 3,000.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
No those aren't wear parts. Just inspect it. Look at the woodruff keyway on the nose of the crank. Make sure its not damaged. And when you have the crank off inspect the rubber, make sure its not cracked or damaged.

Dr Grant

Alright thanks for the tip. I'm hoping I can do this with my dad. I've biggest replacement I've done is a radiator. Otherwise my dad has a work friend that would do is for cheap since he's a mechanic for Johnson Controls. @Nick-you mean the one cam seal next to the distributor? I'm gonna order a cam seal plug for that. Golden eagle black one.

enjoytheridedc2

Since this is your first time really wrenching on your car, I would only do cam seals if they were leaking. The camshafts and cam gears have to be removed in order to replace that seal. It's not much work to someone who's done it before, but could be overwhelming to someone who also is servicing their timing belt at the same time.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I forget if the LS has them butt the GSR has holes in the cams where you can stick a punch or an allen key in it to keep the cam from moving away from TDC.

Nick_C78

The cams don't have to come off. You just need to take off the cam gears and the #1 cam caps. The seals are 15 years old, they are due.

Dylan, the LS does not have those holes.

Dr Grant

I really want to take on the challenge of doing my first major replacements here but then again I really don't want to screw up my daily. No funds for an engine if I did. I have the repair manual. So I could follow that along with the multiple threads online on how to do the job.

Though with my job not allowing anyone to ask off for a couple months my hand is pretty much forced to pay my dad's work buddy/mechanic to do the job. Guy has a lift in his garage and going to have a second sometime in the future, along with fixing every other problem my family has with their cars. So I can't complain too much I guess. I'm just missing out on the satisfaction of working on my own car.

Nick_C78

A wrench? lol There should be a hex pattern on the cam to hold it while you do the tbelt. It is a bitch and often requires 2 people. To my knowledge there is no way to lock it in place.