Timing Question

TVRbasics

TVR
Hey guys i have an LS. i put some adjustable cam gears on and well now i dont know what to do lol. right now they are TDC with the distributor timing advanced to 18 degrees. Does anybody have some specs for the cam timing on the LS? with the distributor timing advanced there is a little bit more throttle response but i want to know if there is any HP gains associated with moving the cam timing. Thanks

mirrorimg

Take it to a shop, or put the old cam gears back on.

Edit: there are gains to be made, if you are using aftermarket cams. You need to have a shop adjust it to make optimal power, your butt dyno is not accurate enough to know when the car is making peak HP.

pbnj

the best way to find out power gain is retard it all the way...then test drive it....after test driving it.....advance it a little.....test drive it again.....if you feel some power gain.....advance it again......test drive....if you feel more power gain....advance it again....test drive it again.....n this time no power gain...retard it.....test drive again.............just keep doing this until you find the best spot..............i did this with my d16y8 on my civic once and it worked out perfect.....i dont know the exact degree but thats what i did.....lol....

if you dont like this idea.......take it to the shop.......:google:

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
You're not going to gain any performance from stock cams and adjustable gears...fyi.

all adjusting the distributor is for different climates

digdug18

I disagree, you can gain some torque, but you might do that at the cost of hp, and then again the gains will be very minimal

Andrew

mirrorimg

You're not going to gain any performance from stock cams and adjustable gears...fyi.

all adjusting the distributor is for different climates
I disagree, you can gain some torque, but you might do that at the cost of hp, and then again the gains will be very minimal

Andrew
Gain some torque, lose some horsepower. How is this a performance increase?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You sacrifice at one part of the power band to increase power at another part. It's not just the individual effect of timing on a particular cam, but also the overlap between the two cams.

And as mentioned, it's pointless on stock cams but necessary on aftermarket cams.

There are no magic numbers. Every engine responds differently. It HAS to be dyno tuned.

Blindly changing your base ignition timing is also stupid. You'll most likely lose power, possibly cause detonation. If you want to mess with timing, get a standalone engine management system and have it dyno tuned. There is a lot of power to be gained by advancing it in some places, retarding it in others. Not something you can do with a global base timing adjustment.

Jeremyf100

Gain some torque, lose some horsepower. How is this a performance increase?
Because torque is power !! Thats why my 206 horsepower, 5,500 RPM, 3200 lb Mustang will WALK my 227 hp,7800 RPM, 2600 lb Integra, cuz the Stang puts out more than twice the amount of TORQUE as the Integra. Torque is how much the horse can pull, Power is how far it can carry it.