to chip or not to chip?

soggieb18b1

soggie
i am debating on chipping my teg. any opinions on what direction to head? new to this os all opinions welcome

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^ or do anything to your car.... chipping your ecu is for tuning your car.

With basic bolt ons your car will be able to adust it's own fuel maps to compensate for the more are flow/different temperatures, ect..

once you add a factor like larger cams, different pistons, positive pressure, or some other major change to the engine is when you should consider a chip'd ecu.

acura1

Something i learned from the guys at macspeed

mirrorimg

And it is always best to get your car properly tuned with the ECU chipped during that time. This way you have a tune geared specifically to your car and not just a generic basemap.

dskdc4

yeah what they said dont get a generic base map as they tend 2 just dump down alot of fuel

kadafy

I hate to steal the thread, but I thought it'd be a little cleaner on the forums if I asked in here since it's a similar question. I have a '01 GSR with a few mods: Cold air intake, exhaust, headers. Now, my ECU is all jacked up. Would it be worth it to get a chipped ECU, or just not bother and get a stock one?

Also, does anyone know if it's legal in CA to get the harness kit and run a OBD I chip in my GSR? Thanks in advance. ;)

no it's not legal cause they'll bust you during inspection, and yes it would be worth it I happen to know from EXPERIENCE not internet found misinformation. i saw a tremendous difference in my car after having just a basemap put in it i couldn't imagine if i also got it tuned but all i have are a few bolt ons so since it's not too much more money i would say do it you will notice a difference

kadafy

So if it's chipped it's illegal? Hmm. It was just smogged. I have a friend who does smog, but he really doesn't inspect it. I guess I could just not tell him, or is it pretty obvious? I'm just recently getting into the tuning scene...so I appreciate your help.