To dip or not to dip?

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
My 91 LS is white with black trim, it has so scratches and some chipping paint here and there. It could use a new paint job, but I dont really have the money. Would it be worth to buy a dip your car kit from dipyourcar.com and dip the car white?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Mike61096

Well I think the $1000+ spent on a paint job is better to put towards parts

Mike61096

Yea ik. Im glad it's removable. There's less prep work involved too.

cvcrcr99

NO. Dont do it. Especially white. Here is a quick time line of my plastic dip experience.

Right when it was done:

Looked great, right? Oh, it did and I was VERY happy with it. Two months later...

When I sold it 9 months after being painted:

Rubber stains... you touch the car with your dirty fingers and it would not come clean. Scrub it too hard and it starts to peel. Cleaning would resort to spraying over it, but that area would be more white than others. Dirt/bugs on the front, rust under the OEM silver paint on the hood started showing through (but wasnt on the silver paint... it was weird), I will admit the damage/hole is my doing, and if a bird shat on the car... don't get me started. :p

Spray it on too thin, and it flakes off. There is a reason the dipyourcar.com videos never do the roof of a car... water tends to sit on the top of the car and make the dip disgusting looking. Paint started flaking and peeling on the roof within 4 months. I have black plasti-dipped things and noticed the black lays down much thicker, so you will need more of the white. I had 3 gallons from the company, and I wish I had another gallon at least.

Small things, P-dip is good for... not an entire car though. these are just my experiences and I might have been OCD with the car, but it was my second biggest regret I had when owning the car.

Last edited:

Mike61096

It looks like you didnt put on enough coats, and u didnt use glossifiers which is why the dirt didnt come off.

Mike61096

Not too badly. I could just touch up some spots with NH-318 in a can.

mohawk42s

i did mine 6 months ago with no complaints... i did put way more coats on than necessary. I ended up using 3 1/2 gallons of plastidip. I can scrub it and it doesnt peel any. I went with black though so i dont know about white.

TheCrimsonStar

It looks like you didnt put on enough coats, and u didnt use glossifiers which is why the dirt didnt come off.

This. And it's a rubberized coating. You expect it to stick for life? Keep some on hand. When it peels or chips, re-spray it. Easy peasy.

The glossifier makes it so much easier to clean. Literally just wipe it with a wet cloth. Looks to me like you expected a permanent paint job and that is most definitely NOT what this is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mike61096

This. And it's a rubberized coating. You expect it to stick for life? Keep some on hand. When it peels or chips, re-spray it. Easy peasy.

The glossifier makes it so much easier to clean. Literally just wipe it with a wet cloth. Looks to me like you expected a permanent paint job and that is most definitely NOT what this is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Exactly. If I did this, I would definitely use glossifiers and a minimum of 4 coats of dip.