To rebuild or not to rebuild?

Psycho719

My 01 GSR just hit 131,000 and the miles keep on clocking in everyday. That being said once I hit about 175000 should I start looking into a rebuild of the entire engine? Or should I start looking into an engine with low miles? I'm planning on setting it up for turbo so that might be a good time to do the rebuild. I'm shooting for about 350whp.

I know this is going to be costly, especially done right with the right parts. I have a couple grand saved up, what should be my route?

Resistance92

Valve adjustment and test it. If shes still running strong i wouldnt mess with it although since u want to boost it IDK

DARKNGL

Amigo del Wraith
Like above, check the health of your motor. I just hit 250K on my GSR and it is still running strong. As long as it has been taken care of, it will last. Now if you want to go boost, me personally, I would rebuild.

dekaf

pǝʇuɐɹb ɹoɟ buıɥʇou ǝʞɐʇ
Yes definitely do a compression test and leakdown test before doing any modifications...especially a turbo.
Youre very lucky your car has made it that far, I bought mine with 60k on it, and it turned out I had rings and some other things wrong. Was burning lots and lots of oil :(

But shes fixed now, rebuilt the whole top and bottom end with aftermarket parts. She runs very very very nice and I've already put 10,000 miles on it since. Ran a compression and leakdown test yesterday and had solid numbers all across. But if your looking at getting a new motor, get an LS motor. But if you want to build your current one, get low compression pistons and build your top.

Psycho719

So I called Project Import today to see how much they will charge for a compression leak down test and they wanted 100 bucks! That's way too much money for me to have that done. Does anyone else recommend a place with a lower rate? Or someone here on forum willing to help a fellow teggy brother out? I'm located in Orange County, CA. I'll be willing to pay you as well for your troubles.

Prozon

Kris
Try a non-import specific shop. Any old mechanic shop can do a compression test.

I agree with the others though, if it's not broken- don't fix it.